facebook

My Eclipse crashes with SWT error, cannot open workbench now

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Bugs
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

schiang1

I have installed and used MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench 5.0.1 GA Build id: 20060810-5.0.1-GA for 1.5 months. It was working fine until recently. I started getting “SWT error has occurred. You are recommended to exit the workbench …” and this error occurred more and more often. It has reached a stage that I cannot open the workbench now. What can I do to solve this problem?

– System Setup ——————————-
    Operating System and version: Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
    Eclipse version: 3.2
    Eclipse build id: How to find this information?
    Fresh Eclipse install (y/n): y
    If not, was it upgraded to its current version using the update manager?
    Other installed external plugins: None
    Number of plugins in the <eclipse>/plugins directory that begin with org.eclipse.pde.*:
    MyEclipse version: 5.0.1 GA
    Eclipse JDK version: Sun SDK 5.0.1
    Application Server JDK version:
    Are there any exceptions in the Eclipse log file? Yes,

—————————————————————————–

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui.workbench 4 0 2006-11-28 17:26:33.296
    !MESSAGE An unexpected exception was thrown.
    !STACK 0
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.viewers.update.LaunchManagerProxy.dispose(LaunchManagerProxy.java:51)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2006-11-28 17:26:33.396
    !MESSAGE Application error
    !STACK 1
    org.eclipse.swt.SWTError: Item not added
    at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:3400)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2006-11-28 17:28:12.459
    !MESSAGE No more handles
    !STACK 0
    org.eclipse.swt.SWTError: No more handles

———————————————————————————-

If this is a DB related question please answer the following:

RDBMS vendor and version:
    JDBC driver vendor and version, and access type (thin, type-2, etc):
    Connection URL:
    Eclipse error logs related to com.genuitec.eclipse.sqlexplorer packages:

– Message Body ——————————-

#262747 Reply

Riyad Kalla

The first thing to do is see if using -clean helps, steps are outlined here:
    http://www.myeclipseide.com/PNphpBB2+file-viewtopic-t-10280.html

If that doesn’t work, you can force a new workspace by using the -data command line argument to see if that is the issue, like so:
    eclipse.exe -data c:\tempworkspace

If a new workspace works, then you need to import your old projects from your old workspace into your new one. Tips on how to create a new workspace and maintain all your settings and projects are here:
    http://www.myeclipseide.com/PNphpBB2+file-viewtopic-t-14682.html

Let me know if you need help.

#264233 Reply

thien2000

I had similar problem and tried the suggestion above (with temp workspace) but I still have the same “No more handle” problem. Any other suggestion? Below is what logged. Thanks.

!SESSION 2007-01-05 13:28:44.488 ———————————————–
    eclipse.buildId=M20060921-0945
    java.version=1.6.0
    java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86, WS=gtk, NL=en_US
    Command-line arguments: -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.resources 2 1 2007-01-05 13:29:17.189
    !MESSAGE Skipping builder com.ibm.etools.validation.validationbuilder for project GeoText. Either the builder is missing from the install, or it belongs to a project nature that is missing or disabled.
    !SESSION 2007-01-05 13:33:15.969 ———————————————–
    eclipse.buildId=M20060921-0945
    java.version=1.6.0
    java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86, WS=gtk, NL=en_US
    Command-line arguments: -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2007-01-05 13:33:25.689
    !MESSAGE Application error
    !STACK 1
    org.eclipse.swt.SWTError: No more handles [gtk_init_check() failed]
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.createDisplay(Display.java:793)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.create(Display.java:781)
    at org.eclipse.swt.graphics.Device.<init>(Device.java:145)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.<init>(Display.java:452)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.<init>(Display.java:443)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createDisplay(Workbench.java:448)
    at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createDisplay(PlatformUI.java:161)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.IDEApplication.createDisplay(IDEApplication.java:122)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.IDEApplication.run(IDEApplication.java:75)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run(PlatformActivator.java:78)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:92)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:68)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:400)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:177)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:336)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:280)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:977)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:952)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 2 0 2007-01-05 13:33:25.829
    !MESSAGE The following is a complete list of bundles which are not resolved, see the prior log entry for the root cause if it exists:
    !SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.osgi 2 0 2007-01-05 13:33:25.830
    !MESSAGE Bundle update@../MyEclipse/eclipse/plugins/com.genuitec.javascript.debug.mozilla_5.1.0/
    [187] was not resolved.
    !SUBENTRY 2 com.genuitec.javascript.debug.mozilla 2 0 2007-01-05 13:33:25.831
    !MESSAGE Constraints from the fragment conflict with the host: Require-Bundle: org.mozilla.xpcom; bundle-version=”0.0.0″
    !SUBENTRY 2 com.genuitec.javascript.debug.mozilla 2 0 2007-01-05 13:33:25.833
    !MESSAGE Missing Constraint: Fragment-Host: org.eclipse.swt; bundle-version=”3.1.0″
    !SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.osgi 2 0 2007-01-05 13:33:25.833
    !MESSAGE Bundle update@../MyEclipse/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.atf.mozilla.swt.browser_5.1.0/ [246] was not resolved.
    !SUBENTRY 2 org.eclipse.atf.mozilla.swt.browser 2 0 2007-01-05 13:33:25.833
    !MESSAGE Constraints from the fragment conflict with the host: Require-Bundle: org.mozilla.xpcom; bundle-version=”0.0.0″
    !SUBENTRY 2 org.eclipse.atf.mozilla.swt.browser 2 0 2007-01-05 13:33:25.833
    !MESSAGE Missing Constraint: Fragment-Host: org.eclipse.swt; bundle-version=”3.1.0″

#264234 Reply

Riyad Kalla

It looks like your install has some conflicts in it. I would encourage you to download our All-In-One installer, install that to a new dir, run it and see if that helps.

#264237 Reply

thien2000

I am on Linux and your download page stated All in One not available for Linux.

#264242 Reply

Riyad Kalla

I see. For linux it is just needed to redownload Eclipse 3.2.1 SDK from the eclipse.org side and MyEclipse 5.1.0 Linux Installer from our site. Install them both to new directories (not existing ones), preferably under your home dir to mitigate any permission problems, and then run that new install of MyEclipse and point it at your existing workspace.

#264260 Reply

jpedersen

I had the same problem. I solved it by simply renaming the MyEclipseIDE folder so Eclipse could not find it during startup. Then Eclipse started up and I could close all open editors. After this I closed Eclipse, moved MyEclipseIDE back to its original location, started Eclipse and reactivated/reinstalled MyEclipseIDE.

The MyEclipse 5.1 seems to have some major stability problems on Linux. If I avoid openeing the JSP Visual Designer I can get through without crashes, but otherwise Eclipse/MyEclipse will crash every other minute.

#264263 Reply

Riyad Kalla

The MyEclipse 5.1 seems to have some major stability problems on Linux. If I avoid openeing the JSP Visual Designer I can get through without crashes, but otherwise Eclipse/MyEclipse will crash every other minute.

They have been a real bastard to track down and kill, we’ve had a developer full time on them for over a month now and we think we have most of the crashes pegged. All those improvements are going into the next release. We should have an M1 version out the door in the next few weeks, leading up to a March release.

We are really sorry about that. Some of us here are on Linux too but oddly enough it’s still hard to track down reproducable test cases. The fixes we have found so far have been incredibly obscure (like down at the platform level, not releasing resources, etc.) but have been fixed. So we are getting there.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: My Eclipse crashes with SWT error, cannot open workbench now

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in