facebook

MyEclipse 7.0 and external plugins via ‘links’ directory

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

ernestz

For a while now, I’ve maintained a directory of Eclipse plugins in a separate folder/directory and simply ‘dropped’ a .link file into the {MyEclipseInstallDir}\eclipse\links directory. These are primarily smaller, unique plugins which I like to have available in all of my Eclipse/MyEclipse program installations.

After just installing MyEclipse 7.0, there is no longer an {MyEclipseInstallDir}\eclipse\links directory. How do I continue to use the Eclipse concept of ‘linked’ plugins, or is this no longer possible with MyEclipse 7.0?

#292026 Reply

Riyad Kalla

ernestz,

That is a known issue with MyEclipse 7.0 and we are working to fix that quickly. We will be most likely adding support for the /dropins folder back to either a patch release or MyEclipse 7.0.

For now the work-around is a bit flamboyant, but hopefully not too difficult… it’s to either create a local archived update site, or a real update site with the plugins you want installed and then use the Help > Software Updates > Add/Remove Software wizard to add those pieces to MyEclipse 7.0

This is a short-lived side effect of us moving our platform to a more automated/centralized plugin management system. In the future this is going to be expanded out to allow you to build out *exactly* what you want MyEclipse to be like with official features, your own plugins, etc. etc.

We just ran out of time to get /dropins support back in for the 7.0 release, sorry about that inconvenience.

#292065 Reply

ehornek
    Participant

Hi,
    Eclipse and MyEclipse are living with external plugins. To skip the possibility to add plugins due to time problems is IMO simple bad. It does not show much professionality in project management. For me it makes MyEclipse 7.0 useless.

#292255 Reply

Steve Olson

Is there any way to register to get notified when this fix for adding the equivalent of extensions will be available? We also cannot convert to 7.0 until we can add extensions again (one for source control, one for WebsphereMQ Explorer).

In the meantime, is there is doc some place on how to create a local archived update site? I can try that, but don’t know enough about eclipse to know what a “local archived update site” is.

#292275 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Just to clarify, the limitation right now is adding custom *local* plugins that are not provided from an update site. If you want to add those types of plugins, you can work around this temporary limitation (to be corrected soon) by setting up your own update site using this TIP: http://www.poweredbypulse.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2787#post2787

If the plugins you want to add all provide their own update site, it’s no problem at all. Just add the update site under Help > Software Updates > Add/Remove and you are all set.

#292488 Reply

Steve Olson

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, we have three plugins that we used to use the “Add an Extension Location” function in the software Manage Configuration stuff on Eclipse 3.3, that do not come from any update site. One for us is a show stopper as it is our source control integration (MKS). I looked at the page you mention that describes how to make a local update archive site, and was unable to determine how to package up the source control extension that way.

I see from other threads that this plugin/extension/pulse issue on 7.0 is a popular topic. We will have to delay adoption of 7.0 until there is a fix to restore the ability to add plugins when there is no update site available. If there is a way to register for notification when this capability is available, I’d be interesting in knowing what it is. In the meantime I’ll just monitor the site from time to time until I see this.

#292543 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

This message has not been recovered.

#293834 Reply

peverheart

Can we get an update on the progress of this feature? Specifically being able to integrate with MKS plugin like we used to with the older versions? I will have to forego using MyEclipse until this happens.

#293835 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

peverheart,

Here’s the latest. The ‘dropin support’ feature is working internally and is undergoing QA right now. My prior post had an update being available by the “end of January” but that looks like it will sneak into the first few days of February, based on the QA schedule. However, good news — It’s done and it works and it’s coming in a matter of days.

#294034 Reply

loomax

This is definetly good news

#294256 Reply

CARFAX

Can we get an update on the status of this update please?

#294286 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Final QA throws right now, later this week it looks like.

#294469 Reply

qxo
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: MyEclipse 7.0 and external plugins via ‘links’ directory

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in