facebook

MyEclipse D 7.5 and Derby 10.5

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Database Tools (DB Explorer, Hibernate, etc.)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Derek Cook
    Participant

Hi,

I had a problem last year with MyEclipse 7.1 and Derby 10.5, which you said you’d pass to the support team. See the post below

https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/myeclipse-7-m2-and-derby-10-4/

Sadly, I never heard a response to this.

With one thing and another, this hasn’t been a problem for me as I’ve done little database programming over the last year.

However, I’m now getting more active on the database front again.

I’ve moved onto MyEclipse 7.5 and also Derby 10.5, and still can’t use the database explorer to view the database. I get an error message telling me that the connection cannot be created and that I need to check my URL. The myeclpse configuration I setup is per the screenshots in my previous post on the above link

I note that if I start the myeclipse derby network driver that it’s still using Derby 10.2. Is that the cause of the problem?

Could you possibly provide a step by step guide to getting MyEclipse working with Derby 10.5?

My application uses the embedded driver.

#300418 Reply

Derek Cook
    Participant

Success!

You may wish to incorporate this into your tutorials/documentation, as it certainly had me baffled, and I only tried this as a last resort.

Despite setting the Derby Integrated Sandbox Preferences so that my home directory was C:\Documents and Settings\Derek\xfactory.libraries, if I tried to connect to my an.factory database (the specimen database I was trying to connect to and which is under that directory) with the same Embedded 10.5 derby.jar (embedded client) that my application successfully uses, with the connection url jdbc:derby:an.factory (again, which the app successfully uses) then I cannot make the connection.

However if I put the full path name in, so jdbc:derby:C:\Documents and Settings\Derek\xfactory.libraries\an.factory then I can connect to the database.

So it appears that certainly for embedded drivers, the home directory is ignored. That doesn’t bother me now I know what to do, but it’s taken many hours to sort this out!

For completeness: if I try and connect to the same database with MyEclipse setup to use a 10.5 Client Driver using the connection URL jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/an.factory. The connection fails with the same error dialog given in the screen shot that I provided on 22 Nov in my original post (see link above).

I find this behaviour odd as, I guess, despite setting up a 10.5 client driver, MyEclipse is still using a 10.2.2.0 Network server, hence the incompatibility. It would be great to be able to use a later version of Derby

FYI When I started my database work in MyEclipse (and found the database explorer to be of great use), I was probably using a compatible version of Derby to create the database, however I had to upgrade (it all comes back to me slowly) because 10.2 had BLOB size restrictions which I was hitting, which were removed in later versions.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: MyEclipse D 7.5 and Derby 10.5

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in