facebook

MyEclipse for Windows 7 64Bits

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Feature Requests
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author

mmogley

This message has not been recovered.

#305424 Reply

Brian Fernandes

#305438 Reply

mmogley

#305446 Reply

Ton Huisman

#305677 Reply

joelu

#305936 Reply

J.C. Hamlin
    Participant

#305937 Reply

#306223 Reply

patricktsang

hi,
    I agree with you guys that 64bits is gonna be important in coming development.
    Just hope it is available after 8.5 release.

#308146 Reply

I wholeheartedly agree that true 64-bit support is needed with ME. We have also hit the wall with a very large product that is already broken up into nine different modules. We are having trouble running some parts of the builds in eclipse without using the maximum amount of memory possible. Every time we add something to the product, it is iffy if the build will fail. We end up fiddling with the heap space settings and unloading everything we can.

I switched to the 64-bit version of eclipse (3.5.2) under Win7 and it works beautifully. No memory problems, and I don’t have to break up two more modules (a real pain).

#308406 Reply

Hey,

It’s me again. Anyone have any forecast about when should be available one 64bits version for Windows??? I’m using Windows 7 Pro 64bits, most of time it works well, though when is needed work with several threads and more memory, usually the system crash, apart that should be better and faster than 32bits.
    One other thing, is there any way to create the binding classes, for JAXB, from inside IDE? Because now I’m using the XJC.EXE file into command window. If does not exist, do you have any forecast to implement it? When I need create it for several schemas there are two options, type for each one that take a lot time or start use the Netbeans, that provide this feature and it’s quite good for signal.
    Thank you

#308764 Reply

J.C. Hamlin
    Participant

@support-nipun wrote:

A 64-bit version for WIndows is absolutely planned, we will likely release it soon after our 8.0 GA release goes out or with 8.1 — we haven’t ironed out the final QA for that release yet, but it’s definitely coming

This was posted in October of 2009. It’s now June 2010, and there is still no release of MyEclipse 64-bit for Windows. Any update on this?

We just tried using the 64-bit version of Eclipse 3.5.2 with the 8.5 udpate site, and no luck. It didn’t work. We got pretty much the same error message mpassell did when he tried with the 8.0 version of the update site (same error message, except instead of being MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench 8.0.0 it was MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench 8.5.0).

So, when can we expect a 64-bit version of MyEclipse for Windows? It’s been nine months since this original promise of “soon after our 8.0 GA release” and we’re seriously considering leaving MyEclipse and figuring out how to make our set of projects work with straight 64-bit Eclipse. We do not want to invest that time if we do not have to though, so, can we get an ETA please?

#308771 Reply

Brian Fernandes

JC,

We have been looking at the Windows 64 bit issue. Unfortunately our initial attempts have not succeeded (as far back as 8.5M2), but we are still working on it. It will be reprioritized after the 8.6 release, believe me – we realize the pressing need for this as several of us are on 64bit environments ourselves.

The problem we are facing with 64bit support is primarily finding a compatible 64bit build of XULRunner. Without XULRunner, the html / jsp design panes, REST explorer and AJAX debugger would stop functioning. I’m not saying we would create a release like this – but would a 64 bit product with these features be missing suit your specific needs? I’m guessing not, but I had to ask.

#310261 Reply

Dieter Tontsch
    Participant

Any update on that?
    Now it’s July 2010 and MyEclipse 8.6 out.
    Still I can’t find info about 64 Bit Windows 7 Support?!?!?

#310267 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Mobilexag,

Please see my previous comment. We realize the importance of the problem and are prioritizing this for the 9 release. No work on this has been done in the 8.6 timeframe as something like this just does not fit into the timeline of a minor release.

#310557 Reply

J.C. Hamlin
    Participant

@Support-Brian wrote:

The problem we are facing with 64bit support is primarily finding a compatible 64bit build of XULRunner. Without XULRunner, the html / jsp design panes, REST explorer and AJAX debugger would stop functioning. I’m not saying we would create a release like this – but would a 64 bit product with these features be missing suit your specific needs? I’m guessing not, but I had to ask.

Yeah, that would work fine for us. We don’t use design view, it’s too slow, and WYSIWYG development of JSPs is for beginners. We’re all pretty good with JSP and HTML, and modifying the JSP and refresing the browser window to see the REAL results (with data) is so much better than anything the design view can present. As well, the Visual JSP debugger crashes the JVM from time to time (in the XUL code, coincidentally), and hangs with certain JSPs with applets embedded, so we’ve all switched over to using the non-visual JSP editor anway. As well, most of our new development is in Flex. We installed Flex Builder 3 plugin into MyEclipse. So we really don’t even do that much new HTML/JSP development anymore, but we still have over 2500 JSPs to maintain.

We don’t use the REST explorer or AJAX debugger.

As long as the Maven4MyEclipse works (so we can build), we can edit files, hot code swap Java, auto-complete, syntax highlight, deploy to Tomcat 6, debug Java and JSP, and get Tomcat stdout and stderr to the console, we’re all set.

Helios (Eclipse 6.4) is out, including 64-bit versions of all platforms (classic, JEE, etc). There should be a 64-bit XULRunner in there, right? We’ve actually gotten our app almost up and running in Helios 64-bit. We don’t like the fact that the maven + deployment doesn’t work (so we have to use in situ deployment configurations, which isn’t very close to production, and a bit harder to view what the final result will look like during development, we really like the deployment which builds the actual WAR structure as a copy of everything in Eclipse into Tomcat). Otherwise, everything else seems to be working. We’ll have to use it for awhile to be sure and see what else we might be missing. Our build times dropped by about 25% with 64-bit and 2GB of heap, and hopefully our stability will go up now that we won’t hitting other non-heap memory limits on we were hitting with the 32-bit address space.

So, can you leverage anything in Helios to get a MyEclipse 64-bit for Windows working soon? Can you release one with the features backed by XULRunner disabled?

In any event, we’re about to make the switch and start using Helios JEE 64-bit. If we don’t get a solution from Genuitec soon (like in the next couple of weeks), we will probably be converted over fully to Helios and may not switch back unless there is some compelling reason to do so.

So, where do we go from here?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
Reply To: MyEclipse for Windows 7 64Bits

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in