facebook

MyEclipse JSF Tutorial needs to be updated

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Documentation
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

The tutorial “MyEclipse JSF Tutorial” is for version 4.0

http://www.myeclipseide.com/documentation/quickstarts/jsf/index.html

Shouldn’t you consider updating it to version 6? Should I try a different tutorial instead? If so, shouldn’t this tutorial be removed?

Thank you!

Luis

#281776 Reply

Loyal Water

Luis,
    Thanks for bringing this up. I’ll make a note of this right away.

Go ahead and follow this doc for MyEclipse 6. II guess the screen shots were updated. Incase you get stuck at any step, please let me know.

#282092 Reply

vjg

I’m following this same tutorial. When I get to the step where the login form is being edited (see figure 7.5a), the tutorial indicates that there should be a wizard popping up when the Form button is pressed on the palette.

First, whose idea was it to make the palette only show up next to the design pane? In the tutorial, the palette ran the full height of the design/preview window. In 6.0, the palette takes up room in the design pane and it only extends to that pane’s height. That’s not nearly enough real estate for the palette, especially if the source pane is open.

Second, the palette section heading names have been changed, so I’m guessing that JSF-Form should be JSF-HTML. Is that correct?

Third, no wizard. Instead, clicking the Form button on the palette changes my cursor to create/paste mode and I have to click in the source or on the design view to place the form component.

Fourth, I can’t find any way to open the wizard for the <h:form …> tag after it is placed into the source pane. Since the form tag is obscured in later windows, I can’t tell what the final code should look like.

– Virgil

<edited to replace embarrassing typos>

#282093 Reply

vjg

Followup – I just noted that when editing a jsp in another project, the one I created for the Web Project Tutorial, which is a Web Project with no other capabilities added except for including the JSTL libraries at creation time, the palette options include HTML Basic, HTML-Form, Struts-Basic, Struts-Form, JSF-Basic, and JSF-Form (there it is!).

However, when editing a jsp in my JSF tutorial project, the palette contains a lot of sections for JSTL and the JSF sections are titled JSF Core and JSF Tutorial. In addition, the selection of a form element from the palette behaves as described in my previous post.

– Virgil

#282162 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Luis and Virgil,
    The JSF tutorial needs to be rewritten. We added a new JSF designer (didn’t replace the old one, but added a new one and changed the default file binding) in the 5.5 release and it behaves a bit differently. You actually need to do most of your edits using the Properties view as seen in the attached screenshot. Sorry for the confusion guys. We’ve made a note to rewrite this.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #282171 Reply

vjg

@support-rkalla wrote:

Luis and Virgil,
    The JSF tutorial needs to be rewritten. We added a new JSF designer (didn’t replace the old one, but added a new one and changed the default file binding) in the 5.5 release and it behaves a bit differently. You actually need to do most of your edits using the Properties view as seen in the attached screenshot. Sorry for the confusion guys. We’ve made a note to rewrite this.

That bit of information made a significant difference. I was able to complete the pages and am now trying to test. Oddly, though my jsp pages were named with all lowercase letters, when deployed and tested it fails, complaining that /JSFLoginDemo/userLogin.jsp cannot be found. I didn’t have an uppercase L in my file name at any time, but it thinks one should exist. I changed the name of the userlogin.jsp to userLogin.jsp just for fun. (Note that the rename didn’t get carried to the faces-config.xml file so I had to do that manually.)

Also, the design pane and the preview windows don’t show the bundle values for the labels (expected expression in design, value in preview). I know the bundle can be found because the Login button’s label is showing up just fine in preview. Don’t know about runtime since I haven’t been able to get it to find the files yet. Odd. I’ll have to review the deployment target to see what made it over there.

Thanks for the assist. I sure look forward to updated tutorials. Is it correct to say that a web project without JSF support continues to use the “old” editor that matches the one shown in the tutorial? It appears to so me.

– Virgil

#282218 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Is it correct to say that a web project without JSF support continues to use the “old” editor that matches the one shown in the tutorial? It appears to so me.

Yes for now we only updated the default JSF binding to use the new visual designer. That may change in the future, but not at the moment. Our HTML designer is a really strong designer while the JSF designer is a really strong JSF designer but not that strong of rendering literal HTML for more complex pages.

#282332 Reply

Brad Orner

*sigh* I’m new to JSF and I can’t this simple tutorial to work at all. I got through the minor diffs in the screens. But I’m currently getting an exception which I believe must be related to the navigation rules (posted at the end)

I’ve spent the past few weeks with MyEclipse. I’ve been away from Java EE for a couple of years and now getting back to it. My general impression (and considerable frustration) is that the programatic part of JSF/JPA/JEE5 is great. But I’m spending easily 80% of my time wading through dependency – caused exceptions. I’d say at least 70% of samples and tutorials don’t work until I chase down some .jar somewhere. That seems to be true both inside and outside of MyEclipse. I was hoping MyEclipse was going to make that aspect alot easier, given the claim of support for all the the different servers.

But to be honest, I’ve grown quite frustrated. Only about 1/2 the examples seem to work out of the box on the sandbox Tomcat. I’ve tried Glassfish and Geronimo and have had some minor successes but lots of setbacks – e.g. debugging is quirky or doesn’t work. I can’t get logging to work at all through MyEclipse on any server. So for each seemingly simple exercise to learn an aspect of EE5, I spend 1/2 day with the exercise and 3-5 days chasing down dependencies and exceptions. Is this a common experience with the state of the market? Ruby on Rails is looking pretty damn good at the moment ;-).

SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
    org.apache.jasper.JasperException: /userLogin.jsp(45,4) According to TLD or attribute directive in tag file, attribute action does not accept any expressions
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.jspError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:40)
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.dispatch(ErrorDispatcher.java:407)
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.jspError(ErrorDispatcher.java:148)
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Validator$ValidateVisitor.checkXmlAttributes(Validator.java:1124)
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Validator$ValidateVisitor.visit(Validator.java:819)
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$CustomTag.accept(Node.java:1507)
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$Nodes.visit(Node.java:2336)
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$Visitor.visitBody(Node.java:2386)
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Validator$ValidateVisitor.visit(Validator.java:838)
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Validator$ValidateVisitor.visit(Validator.java:838)
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$Visitor.visit(Node.java:2392)
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$Root.accept(Node.java:489)
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Validator.validate(Validator.java:1737)
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateJava(Compiler.java:178)
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:306)
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:286)
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:273)
    at org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:566)
    at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:317)
    at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:320)
    at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:266)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:654)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.processRequest(ApplicationDispatcher.java:445)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doForward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:379)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.forward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:292)
    at com.sun.faces.context.ExternalContextImpl.dispatch(ExternalContextImpl.java:428)
    at com.sun.faces.application.ViewHandlerImpl.executePageToBuildView(ViewHandlerImpl.java:444)
    at com.sun.faces.application.ViewHandlerImpl.renderView(ViewHandlerImpl.java:116)
    at com.sun.faces.lifecycle.RenderResponsePhase.execute(RenderResponsePhase.java:106)
    at com.sun.faces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.phase(LifecycleImpl.java:251)
    at com.sun.faces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.render(LifecycleImpl.java:144)
    at javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:245)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:230)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:175)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:128)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:104)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
    at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:261)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:844)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:581)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:447)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    Mar 2, 2008 3:25:52 PM com.sun.faces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl phase
    WARNING: executePhase(RENDER_RESPONSE 6,com.sun.faces.context.FacesContextImpl@a193fe) threw exception
    javax.faces.FacesException: org.apache.jasper.JasperException: /userLogin.jsp(45,4) According to TLD or attribute directive in tag file, attribute action does not accept any expressions
    at com.sun.faces.context.ExternalContextImpl.dispatch(ExternalContextImpl.java:433)
    at com.sun.faces.application.ViewHandlerImpl.executePageToBuildView(ViewHandlerImpl.java:444)
    at com.sun.faces.application.ViewHandlerImpl.renderView(ViewHandlerImpl.java:116)
    at com.sun.faces.lifecycle.RenderResponsePhase.execute(RenderResponsePhase.java:106)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:230)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:175)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:128)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:104)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:581)
    Caused by: org.apache.jasper.JasperException: /userLogin.jsp(45,4) According to TLD or attribute directive in tag file, attribute action does not accept any expressions
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.jspError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:40)
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.dispatch(ErrorDispatcher.java:407)
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.jspError(ErrorDispatcher.java:148)
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Validator$ValidateVisitor.checkXmlAttributes(Validator.java:1124)
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Validator$ValidateVisitor.visit(Validator.java:819)
    at org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:566)
    at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:317)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:654)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.processRequest(ApplicationDispatcher.java:445)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doForward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:379)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.forward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:292)
    at com.sun.faces.context.ExternalContextImpl.dispatch(ExternalContextImpl.java:428)
    … 18 more
    Mar 2, 2008 3:25:52 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke
    SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet Faces Servlet threw exception
    org.apache.jasper.JasperException: /userLogin.jsp(45,4) According to TLD or attribute directive in tag file, attribute action does not accept any expressions
    Mar 2, 2008 3:27:00 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher invoke
    SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
    Mar 2, 2008 3:27:00 PM com.sun.faces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl phase
    WARNING: executePhase(RENDER_RESPONSE 6,com.sun.faces.context.FacesContextImpl@1e492d8) threw exception
    javax.faces.FacesException: org.apache.jasper.JasperException: /userLogin.jsp(45,4) According to TLD or attribute directive in tag file, attribute action does not accept any expressions
    at com.sun.faces.context.ExternalContextImpl.dispatch(ExternalContextImpl.java:433)

#282346 Reply

Riyad Kalla

But to be honest, I’ve grown quite frustrated. Only about 1/2 the examples seem to work out of the box on the sandbox Tomcat.

Every single example project under MyEclipse > Examples On-Demand should work immediately on MyEclipse 6 and later using the Sandbox servers. Please let me know which projects were broken and I’ll file a bug to get those fixed ASAP. It’s very important those work.

The error above is a good start, but not enough to go on without knowing how you have your project setup. Are you using Sun RI, are you using JSF 1.1 or 1.2? Are you using MyFaces? Are you deploying to Sandbox Tomcat or your own install of Tomcat? Is this a Java EE 5 project or a J2EE 1.4 project?

#282760 Reply

aazurmendi

Please save us the frustration! update or remove this tutorial, I am more frustrated than ever. I did the iceface tutorial,felt like a guru. But now, I am facing reality and it is ruff.

#284201 Reply

millstone

This message has not been recovered.

#287052 Reply

jancel11

Please Update… after all license prices went up and all…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: MyEclipse JSF Tutorial needs to be updated

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in