facebook

MyEclipse JSP cannot find tld [Closed]

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

jsmyth1969

hi,

I have tried to incorporate my existing web project into a workbench project but I have this issue:

1. web.xml is marked ‘in error’ but there is no indication what is wrong with it. apart from a marker at the last line (</web-app>).

Hovering the mouse over the error marker does not cause any error to be displayed) If I use ‘validate’ against the web.xml, I see a validate popup box but it is very fast and no error seems to be reported.

any ideas you may have appreciated..

thanks
    jim

#203907 Reply

jsmyth1969

-oops – sorry for the misleading subject – I did have an issue with tlds when I started writing the original post – but that was fixed by rebuilding the entire project….

#203977 Reply

jsmyth1969

This question was closed – my own fault I guess. I had originally planned to ask questions on 2 issues but managed to find an answer for the one that was mentioned in the subject of the original post…

The issues were:

1. tlds not found
    2. invalid xml

Rebuilding the project fixed the tld issue. However the workbench still reports that web.xml is wrong.

Your thoughts appreciated.

rgds
    jim

#203981 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Jim, are quick way to double check this, can you poste your web.xml for us to look at (And copy-paste into our editor to double check).

#204096 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Seems I closed this prematurely. Jim can you paste your web.xml into a message here so we can have a look at it? If the error is something like “contents of web.xml need to match (web-app (servlet*) blah blah”, then the problem is an ordering one… more specifically, the elements in your web.xml file are out of order according to the dtd that the XML file is referencing. (web.xml is particularly picky about order)

#204097 Reply

jsmyth1969

Riyad, thanks for the reply.

I have found that any servlet defintion would cause the error as long as the web.xml xml encoding was defined as encoding=”ISO-8859-1″. When I change this to ‘encoding=”UTF-8″‘, then the error disappears.

I guess this was conflicting with some eclipse project settings (though not sure which ones)

thanks again for your time.

rgds
    jim

#204098 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Jim,
    You can double check your workbench default encoding (Window>Preferences>Workbench>Editor).

Is this problem sovled for you? (I don’t want to close this prematurely again 😉

#204126 Reply

jsmyth1969

Riyad,

The default in the workbench was cp1252 aka DOS. I changed it to utf-8 and then I can reset my web.xml encoding to ISO-8859-1. I dont follow too well the reason for this, but it does work!

thanks again
    jim

#204127 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Jim I’m wondering if you have some non ascii character in your web.xml file, maybe even something that LOOKS normal (like a strange period character, or invisible character)… do you see any weird characters in this file when you open it with Notepad? (don’t use a ‘better’ editor, as it might support unicode). I basically want to see if anything pops up looking like strange characters.

#204141 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

I’ll just chime in here and point out that XML file encoding was completely rewritten for the upcoming 2.7 GA release due to several problems with the RC2 implementation. As a result, I’d suggest you simply find something that “works for now”, rather than try to understand the behavior as it might be a bit inscrutable and possibly bug induced. A workaround is probably the best you can do for now. With the 2.7 GA release, it will become highly predictable.

#204143 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Jim, I’m going to close this thread but please let us know when 2.7 GA comes out if the problem persists.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: MyEclipse JSP cannot find tld [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in