facebook

Myeclipse, JSP’s and OSX

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Web Development (HTML, CSS, etc.)
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

rstudner
    Participant

I just downloaded Myeclipse 9 for Spring after a number of years of using plain-jane eclipse.

I’m on a core i7 mac, 8 gigs of ram, SSD drive.

I imported my project (multiple modules etc).

I right clicked on a jsp, did “open with” and selected the myeclpse jsp editor (no need/want for the visual editor)

This took about.. oh.. 50 seconds to load.

I think finally got it open.. edited a bit.. hit “save”

I did a kill -9 after waiting 3 minutes for it to finish.

jvm args are all in line.. -server, -Xmx1536 perm gen 256m etc etc.. it isn’t that.. i’ve run this project in plain eclipse and intellij with far less.. very very easily.

So I asked around.. and it appears.. that *literally everyone* cannot edit JSPs in Myeclipse.

So .. I don’t get it.. does it even work, at all, on the mac? or is this product really not for use on the mac whatsoever.

Someone told me in Helios there is a big regarding jsp editing and some kind of TLD indexing.. and that Eclipse/Helios fixed it.. but that myeclipse hasn’t.

the inability to edit jsps.. LITERALLY AT ALL (look — i’m saying it is 0% usable).. this is a blocker to making a large license purchase obviously

I can google 50 threads about this… and 0 resolutions.

Please advice.

#317118 Reply

rstudner
    Participant

Addendum.

I went back.. trimmed back my workspace.. has 9 projects in it right now

I also reinstalled from scratch
    if I try to edit *any jsp* with the Myeclipse jsp editor (non-visual)… it takes 45-90 seconds to simply open the file

Please help

#317119 Reply

rstudner
    Participant

And.. actually.. it is still a spinning volleyball.. contents displayed.. but still “locked”.. 4 minutes later

#317136 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

Sorry you’re having this problem, rstudner. I was unable to reproduce the problem on either Windows or Linux. I’ve asked a dev team member to try it on a Mac, but the US has a public holiday today, I believe, so it may take a day or two to get back to you.

Can you try switching to a new workspace and creating a Web Project, then editing the default index.jsp file? This might give us more information or at least give us a minimal test case.

#317152 Reply

rstudner
    Participant

@support-tony wrote:

Sorry you’re having this problem, rstudner. I was unable to reproduce the problem on either Windows or Linux. I’ve asked a dev team member to try it on a Mac, but the US has a public holiday today, I believe, so it may take a day or two to get back to you.

Can you try switching to a new workspace and creating a Web Project, then editing the default index.jsp file? This might give us more information or at least give us a minimal test case.

Well, I mean. Thanks for responding.. but I can’t imagine anyone is interested in the “minimal test case”

If I could make a living with an empty project and 1 index.jsp.. i’d do that hah. I’d also not both using myeclipse (or even eclipse).. i’d just use NotePad etc.

Of course the project i’m working on is quite large etc.. that is why i’m seeking out a tool that actually is capable of producing and working on real enterprise products etc.

#317153 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

Of course, rstudner, real projects will be larger. However, you have a particular problem and it is useful to narrow that problem down so that it can be reproduced without possibly irrelevant aspects getting in the way. With a minimal test case, it is easier to track down the problem.

If you can’t try this small test case, then we’ll have to work with what information we have but then it may take longer to track down.

#317193 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

rstudner,

Naturally, your report is quite concerning to us and I’ve been investigating it on the Mac to see if I can reproduce any sort of slowdown or inability to edit JSP files.

I’m using the following configuration:
    Macbook Pro with OS/X 10.6.7, JDK 1.6.0_24
    MyEclipse for Spring 9.0, All my environmental settings are the installation defaults.

Attempted steps to reproduce:
    1) Launched MyEclipse for Spring 9.0 into an empty workspace
    2) Selected MyEclipse > Examples on Demand and installed the MyBlogJSPJSFExample
    3) Was prompted to upgrade the project for use with MyEclipse 9.0 and accepted the upgrade.
    4) Right-clicked on Home.jsp and selected Open with… > MyEclipse JSP Editor. The file opened quickly as expected and the editor was fully functional.
    5) 4) Right-clicked on index.jsp and selected Open with… > MyEclipse JSP Editor. The file opened quickly as expected and the editor was fully functional.
    6) Selected Preferences > General > Show Heap Status and noted the footer now indicated that 175M of heap space was being used.
    7) I’ve attached a screenshot showing the editors in use on my Mac

So, from this we have a bit of good news — the editor does work on Mac and the issue is not a universal failure. However, there is still obviously an issue in your workspace or configuration so we need to determine what is different in your usage to determine the cause of the issue. Toward that end I have a few questions:

1) Can you please provide the following information about your Mac: Architecture (ie. x86 or PPC), OS/X version, Java version (terminal then “java -version”)
    2) When your workspace is running, please turn on the “Show Heap” preference. What does it report for usage as well as Max?
    3) You mentioned in your post that you had “-Xmx1536”. Since this is not the default, what method did you use to set this parameter?
    4) Are you able to follow exactly the steps I outlined above and reproduce the issue you’re reporting, or does the JSP editor work in this instance for you?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #317216 Reply

rstudner
    Participant

So I download Myeclipse 9 for Spring for linux… “why not”

I install it.. and when I open my first JSP on it, I get:

No more handles [MOZOLLA_FIVE_HOME etc etc

Seriously?

is this a “windows only” piece of software? this is now 2 different computers, 2 different OS’s… 0% success rate

#317217 Reply

rstudner
    Participant

And yes.. I set the environment variable to point at my native firefox install etc.

*shrug*

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Myeclipse, JSP’s and OSX

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in