MyEclipse keeps changing WebSphere JDK directory every startup

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  support-tony 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #546172 Reply

    joshua-white
    Participant

    Our company is using WebSphere 8.5.5.9 which supports JDK 1.8 as a fix pack. The JDK is added to the WAS installation as a folder name java_1.8_64. I set the WAS8 jdk as that folder and everything works fine until I restart Myeclipse. When I do that the jdk folder changes from AppServer\java_1.8_64 to AppServer\java. If the jdk is pointing to the wrong folder we are unable to start new web projects, add WAS 8 as a runtime to replace WAS 7, etc. We have around 70 users and are currently moving to this version of Websphere, so the bug is kind of an issue.

    Any way for us to fix this besides changing the JDK directory every time we start MyEclipse?

    Thanks

    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #546772 Reply

    support-swapna
    Moderator

    Joshua,

    Sorry that you are seeing this issue. We are looking into this problem and we will get back to you soon.

    In the meantime, can you please let us know if there are any additional steps apart from just copying the Java 8 folder to the AppServer? Also share with us your OS and version details. If you are not working with the latest MyEclipse 2017, then please share with us the version of MyEclipse you are working with.

    Apologies for inconvenience caused.

    –Swapna
    MyEclipse Support

    #546777 Reply

    joshua-white
    Participant

    To get WebSphere 8 working, we applied the patch and added the SDK to allow JDK 8 provided by IBM. Their patching tool created the \java_1.8_64 folder. In later versions of WAS8.5, JDK 8 is the default and is located in the default \java folder.
    The only thing I do is change the location of the Installed WebSphere JRE, after eclipse is restarted, the JRE folder changes back.

    Here is my system information:
    OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB
    OS Version: 10.0.14393 N/A Build 14393
    OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
    OS Configuration: Member Workstation
    OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free
    System Manufacturer: LENOVO
    System Model: 20FKS01800
    System Type: x64-based PC
    Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.
    [01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 78 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~2607 Mhz
    BIOS Version: LENOVO N1KET19W (1.06 ), 3/10/2016
    Windows Directory: C:\Windows
    System Directory: C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    System Locale: en-us;English (United States)
    Input Locale: en-us;English (United States)
    Time Zone: (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
    Total Physical Memory: 32,640 MB
    Available Physical Memory: 23,377 MB
    Virtual Memory: Max Size: 37,504 MB
    Virtual Memory: Available: 26,432 MB
    Virtual Memory: In Use: 11,072 MB

    Here are the MyEclipse version details:
    MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench
    Version: 2017 CI 10
    Build id: 15.0.1-20171220

    WAS8 running with the correct JRE:
    WebSphere [IBMJAVA8 8.0.2.10 cf091608.04]Platform 8.5.5.9 [BASE 8.5.5.9 cf091608.05] running with process name spherical-server and process id 24888
    Host Operating System is Windows 10, version 10.0
    Java version = 1.8.0, Java Runtime Version = pwa6480sr2fp10ifx-20160223_01 (SR2 FP10+IV81318+IV81645+IV81741+IV81716), Java Compiler = j9jit28, Java VM name = IBM J9 VM
    was.install.root = C:\ptl_mis\IBM\WebSphere-8.5.5.9\AppServer
    user.install.root = C:\ptl_mis\IBM\WebSphere-8.5.5.9\AppServer\profiles\Spherical
    Java Home = C:\ptl_mis\IBM\WebSphere-8.5.5.9\AppServer\java_1.8_64\jre
    Orb Version = IBM Java ORB build orb80-20151118.00

    Thanks

    • This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  joshua-white.
    #546826 Reply

    support-swapna
    Moderator

    Joshua,

    Thank you for the details. I could replicate the problem at my end. I have raised a bug for the dev team to investigate it further. I am afraid I cannot suggest any other workaround at this point of time apart from the obvious: renaming the original ‘java’ folder to something else and java_1.8_64 folder to ‘java’.

    Thank you for reporting this problem. We will keep you posted when we have any other suggestions from the dev team and will also let you know about the fix schedule.

    Apologies for inconvenience caused.

    –Swapna
    MyEclipse Support

    #546843 Reply

    joshua-white
    Participant

    Thanks for looking into this. It doesn’t seem like changing the folder name is a viable solution as the server has those folders mapped in its configuration and would require changing multiple environment variables in the WebSphere configuration. I will make our users aware of the issue.

    Thanks

    #547050 Reply

    support-tony
    Keymaster

    Joshua,

    The way to change the JRE used is to alter the runtime configuration, rather than the launch configuration. So, on the server configuration editor, click the “Runtime Environment” link, rather than the “Open launch configuration” link. Pulldown the Configured JRE list and select the one you want. This will be the JRE used for the Websphere runtime.

    We will also look at the launch configuration, as Swapna mentioned. At the very least, it should not appear to give you the option to change the JRE. That tab, in the launch configuration, takes its JRE from the runtime environment.

    Sorry for the confusion with this; we will look at tidying this up.

    Please let us know how you get on.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: MyEclipse keeps changing WebSphere JDK directory every startup