facebook

MyEclipseIDE Editor Behaviours

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Feature Requests
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

pmonks

G’day,

I just installed the 2.5GA release. It’s great stuff – kudos to the team!

During my initial 20 minutes or so of mucking about however, I noticed a couple of behaviours in the JSP editor that don’t match the official Eclipse Java editor.

These things include:
    1. Insert spaces for tabs: It appears that the JSP editor (and presumably the XML editor too – haven’t checked yet) always inserts tab characters – would it make more sense for it to honour the Java editor’s setting for this?
    2. Auto-indent: would it be worth implementing auto-indenting (configurable via the existing Java editor preferences, perhaps) in the JSP and XML editors?
    3. Current line highlighting: only seems to highlight from the last character of the line onward. I think this one is probably a bug, but I’m too lazy to post it separately. 😉
    4. Task Tags: any chance of honouring the task tag configuration from the Java editor? I’ve found this feature very handy, and think I will miss having it available in JSPs/XML files etc.

IMVHO the JSP and XML editors should behave the same as the existing Java editor (as much as is possible). While it’s arguable that the Eclipse Java editor isn’t ideal (yet! ;-), I think it’s better to have less-than-ideal but consistent behaviour between all Eclipse based editors, rather than having editors that don’t quite behave the same way. What do you think?

Anyway, thanks again for a great product!

Cheers,
    Peter

#197015 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Peter,

I’ll try to address your questions in order.

Insert spaces for tabs
    There’s a setting on the JSP editor’s preference page that governs this behavior. It’s a separate setting from the Java editor, but the flexibility is there to configure it how you like.

Auto-indent:
    Auto-indent is a little tough with JSP pages because since they’re HTML based they’re often not well formed like XML would be. We’re currently working on some formatting options for HTML and JSP pages. Regarding XML, we’re looking at greatly enhanced capabilities there for a future release.

Current line highlighting:
    Could it be the color you selected for the highlight? I tried very light yellow and it seems to perform as expected. If you’re still having trouble with it, can you mail us a screenshot of your settings and an editor screen showing the problem to support@genuitec.com.

Task Tags
    I’ve added this one as an enhancement request into our internal tracking system.

Editor Consistency
    I agree in principle that all editors behaving similarly is a laudable goal. Unfortunately, the Java editor continues to evolve on its own so there’s always a bit of a lag as everyone else tries to adjust. 🙂

Anyway, thanks again for a great product!

You’re certainly welcome, and thanks to you for the cogent feedback.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#197037 Reply

pmonks

G’day Scott,

Insert spaces for tabs
    I don’t seem to have a “convert tabs to spaces” (or equivalent) setting in the JSP Editor preferences window. There’s a “tab size” setting, but that’s something different. Perhaps I’ve got a dodgy install?

Current line highlighting
    You asked: Could it be the color you selected for the highlight?
    I don’t think so. I tried quite a few different colours before I settled on something I liked, and in all cases it works as I described. I have noticed one oddity however – when the current line of code is a comment, the highlight starts from the start of the comment, rather than the end (as happens with all other lines of code).

If screenshots would help diagnose these things, please let me know.

Cheers,
    Peter

#197046 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Peter,

I’ve rechecked and the ‘insert spaces for tabs’ option inadvertently got dropped from the final build as we removed some editor functionality that “wasn’t quite ready yet”. It’ll show up again in the first service release.

On the line highlighting, if you could mail a gif to our support email that would be great.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#197186 Reply

No Operation

To make “current line highlite” work proper, leave the Syntax attribute backgrounds at WHITE (255,255,255).

Just modify the editor background color and it will work.

NOP

#197268 Reply

pmonks

G’day NOP,

I don’t want to set my editor background colour to white though – white backgrounds give me a headache! 🙂

Cheers,
    Peter

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: MyEclipseIDE Editor Behaviours

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in