facebook

need looser validation for Tapestry HTML templates

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Web Development (HTML, CSS, etc.)
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Ben Eng

After upgrading from Eclipse 3.1 with MyEclipse 4 to Eclipse 3.2 with MyEclipseIDE 5.0M2, I am seeing much stricter HTML validation applied to the Tapestry HTML templates.

Here are some situations that are causing undesirable warnings and errors.

<table>
    <tr>
    <td> … </td>
    <span jwcid=”@If” condition=”ognl:extraFieldsNeeded”>
    <td> … </td>
    </span>
    </tr>
    </table>

The above <span> isn’t really allowed by HTML, but there isn’t really another HTML element (e.g., td) that could reasonably be used instead of span to allow additional TD elements to be added conditionally. I’d like to be able to suppress the error for “No start tag (<span>)” when the </span> is encountered, as well as the warnings “Invalid location of tag (<span>)” and “No end tag (</span>)” at the td within the span.

<span key=”related-pages” />

The above span causes a warning for “No end tag (</span>)”. It’s not parsing/validating the element according to XML rules.

Ben

#254487 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Ben,

Since Tapestry pages are often incomplete templates, there’s really no “looser” level of validation we can do and still have it be called “validation”. What I’d suggest you do is simply right-click on the project in the Package Explorer view and select Properties > MyEclipse-Validation. Then, just turn off the HTML validator. That will keep it from bothering you with warnings that aren’t helpful for what you’re doing. Additionally, you can turn it off at the workspace level at Window > Properties > MyEclipse > Validation as well.

#254674 Reply

Ben Eng

Perhaps altering the HTML validation to accommodate elements that are not allowed according to the DTD or XML Schema is asking too much.

However, I think it is reasonable to request that XML style empty elements (e.g., <span jwcid=”@Insert” value=”ognl:foo”/>) be recognized and validated correctly. I would like to see this as an enhancement, please.

Ben

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: need looser validation for Tapestry HTML templates

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in