facebook

Nightly Build/Milestone/RC Update Site?

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hi:
    Instead of us constantly asking and nagging you guys about when is the next release, why don’t you guys expose a MyEclipse nightly build update site or a milestone build update site or a RC update site? I think that this would be nice for us impatient people like me. Of course, it would be understood that we are basically on our own and you would make no warranties as to its stability. Thanks for reading this….

Mike

#291140 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Mike,
    In theory that is an awesome idea and one we’ve played with since 3.x release days, in reality this phrase “it would be understood that we are on our own” is categorically false… not for *you* persay, but so many people end up getting on the nightlies that they screw up their own setups and then flame us like crazy for destroying their setups.

Our initial Milestone releases were a test of this in the 4.x release days, we cut them through a few hours of QA just to make sure nothing was totally broken and would release them, within a week we would get 100s of emails and posts to the forums about how it is “complete unacceptable that we release broken products”.

We tried 1 more time with a 5.x Milestone and had exactly the same results, but even more people broke their setups that time.

When we sat back and looked at why this was happening, it wasn’t a surprise… people have work they need to get done, even the ones that like dabbling; and from our perspective, the assumption is that everything is “mostly working” anyway – which isn’t always the case with an Nightly.

So we scrapped that and went back to well tested Milestone releases. The 7.0 release has been especially brutal for our bleeding edge users, and we appologize, in this odd lineup of stars and strategies we really had no choice, but the good news is that it doesn’t look like this will happen again moving forward.

Sort of like an Eclipse right in the middle of the day, only happens every 13 years 😀

#291155 Reply

Edward Winston
    Participant

What about limited access to milestone builds? Maybe having a signup for access to the area and then limiting the number to just a few people? It is annoying when something is installed and it messes up your work area, but by reducing the pool of people who understand the risks, you will be able to reduce the noise in the feedback you get.

I for one would like something like that.

Edward

#291156 Reply

Yeah, I agree with Edward. If someone does try to install a nightly build on an installation that they are actually using for doing production-type work I say “shame on them”, they should know better. In that way, we can at least provide more feedback quicker than say waiting for the milestone builds. For all of the people that do flame you for screwing up their workspace, I say that they should be essentially ignored or directed to the disclaimer that you would have for the NB download site.

#291163 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Given that there is interest in it, I’ll put it back up for discussion in our weekly meetings. With MyEclipse moving ontop of the Pulse platform as it’s install/update mechanism rolling out partial sneak-peaks is technically easier for us now. I wouldn’t expect management to OK a pre-Milestone releases for something as early as 7.1, but it is important that we meet our users needs if you guys really badly want access to some earlier builds I’ll see what I can push through.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Nightly Build/Milestone/RC Update Site?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in