facebook

no android 4.4 device; use genymotion emulator as alt

1. GapDebug
  2.  > 
  3. Getting Help – GapDebug
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

ppetree

Downloaded and installed the latest version today only to find it requires Android 4.4.4 and my latest device is 5 months old and running 4.2.2.

What? You want everyone to upgrade devices every time you have a new build? Seriously!

#353153 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

@ppetree

Android 4.4 is the first version of android that supports remote debugging. GapDebug makes use of this capability.

If you’re device is not at the Android 4.4 level consider giving genymotion (https://www.genymotion.com/) android emulator a try. Its a much better experience than the Google Android emulator. I use it frequently to test for devices/os versions that I don’t have a device for, e.g., lollipop.

#353994 Reply

umarsahb

Downloaded and installed the latest version today only to find it requires Android 4.4.4 and my latest device is 5 months old and running 4.2.2.

What? You want everyone to upgrade devices every time you have a new build? Seriously!

#354002 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

>What? You want everyone to upgrade devices every time you have a new build? Seriously!

Please note that GapDebug has never supported debugging android apps before Android 4.4. The requirement has been in place since the very first GapDebug beta. The background for this requirement is that before Android 4.4 there was no internal api for us to be able to access for debugging info. Some good news coming soon for development on and debugging pre-Android 4.4 devices is the Crosswalk webview container as a backward compatible rendering engine based on the latest version of Chrome (chromium to be more accurate). GapDebug supports debugging apps that use the crosswalk webview.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: no android 4.4 device; use genymotion emulator as alt

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in