facebook

No automatic build when saving java-files

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

melartin
    Participant

Hi!

I upgraded from MyEclipse 2018.12 to MyEclipse 2019.4. Building automatically stopped working: When I save java-file, no compile is done. But if I disable Project->Build automatically and then again enable it, class is compiled. But the next change will not be compiled unless I repeat the same –>off->on -procedure manually!

#627101 Reply

Brian Fernandes

That’s very strange, can’t say I’ve come across an issue like this before.

1) Can you please send us your error log? You can find it at [workspace_location]/.metadata/.log
    2) When you say, “next change”, I’m assuming this includes changes made to classes that already exist?
    3) As a test, can you try this in another dummy project, and if that behaves in the same way, in a new dummy workspace?
    4) Is this a Maven project? Would you be able to attach the .project file and the contents of the .settings folder here please? Will show us if something is wrong with the project’s metadata.

Thanks!

#627102 Reply

melartin
    Participant

Hi!

Another member of my project team, who uses plain Eclipse have had same problem with latest Eclipse versions, but I got this problem only after upgrade of MyEclipse…

Juha

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #627114 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Juha,

Thank you for sharing the log – unfortunately, there isn’t anything there that would explain the problem. I did a brief search as well, and as far as I can see, this isn’t a known Eclipse issue, which is why I suspect the issue might be specific to your project or workspace, especially if your colleague is seeing it too (it might still be a bug that needs to be addressed).

Could you please look points #3 and #4 from my previous response so we can investigate further?

Thanks!

#627238 Reply

melartin
    Participant

Hi!

I tried another project => Same result.

I even installed the newest version of MyEclipse to another computer and once again same result: Java-file will not be compiled after save unless I turn the autocompile-feature off and on again!

And yes, I think you’re right. This is not MyEclipse specific problem, but it’s eclipse problem. But I’m getting a little bit desperate, cause this is very annoying and frustrating problem!

Juha

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #627243 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Juha,

We were unable to reproduce the issues with the settings sent, but it did give us a chance to examine your project. Since this issue is build/compile related, I have a strong feeling that it has something to do with Gradle, and your project’s Gradle configuration.

I must admit that I don’t have much experience with Gradle, but this might actually be intended behavior with a Gradle project set up – as the Gradle tooling is now responsible for the build process. I realize you said it was working before, it could be an intended behavioral change, or a bug in the Buildship tooling (which handles Gradle).

1) You said you tried another project. Was this also a Gradle configured project? If yes, can you try with a simple dummy Java project instead?
    2) What version and distribution of Eclipse was your colleague using? That way we can look for bugs at the Eclipse end within specific version ranges.
    3) Just to clarify what you meant about “no compile is done” – I’m assuming you mean that no .class files are generated or updated in your project’s bin folder, is that correct?

#627244 Reply

melartin
    Participant

Hi!

1) Yes, it was also a Gradle project.
    2) These problems have occurred only in 2019-versions (all of them) of eclipse
    3) Yes, that was what i meant: No .class-file is is generated or updated

And I think you’re right again: The problem has something to do with Gradle!

I have to ask our Gradle-configurator, cause I neither have so much experience with it!

But, Thank You for trying to solve this!

Juha

#627854 Reply

melartin
    Participant

Hi!

Just let you know: I found the reason for my problem!

I used to start start gradle task, which builds project and starts webpack server inside MyEclipse. This task remain running until I close it manually.

In the pre 2019 versions of Eclipse this didn’t prevent normal build but since the first 2019 version, build task remained waiting this gradle task to finish.

Solution: I start the gradle task outside eclipse or inside it in the terminal window! Now project is built automatically after save!

Juha

#627871 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Juha,

Glad you figured that out. It looks like they changed the task flags to block the workspace.

Thanks for writing back to let us know!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: No automatic build when saving java-files

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in