facebook

NullPointerExceptions opening MyEclipse XML editors

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Bugs
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

krishnaku

Just installed MyEclipse plug-in into and existing Eclipse 3.2.1 install. I enabled an existing project for web application development. When I try to open resources with MyEclipse editors I get the following exception and variants. The message on the editor pane reads: Unable to create this part due to an internal error. Reason for the failure: An unexpected exception was thrown. I also get a message box saying “Unsupported Content Type in Editor”. The stack trace is below.

I got this trying to open a struts-config.xml file with the MyEclipse XML editor.

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.eclipse.wst.sse.ui.StructuredTextEditor.update(StructuredTextEditor.java:3055)
    at org.eclipse.wst.xml.ui.internal.tabletree.XMLMultiPageEditorPart.addSourcePage(XMLMultiPageEditorPart.java:338)
    at org.eclipse.wst.xml.ui.internal.tabletree.XMLMultiPageEditorPart.createPages(XMLMultiPageEditorPart.java:505)
    at org.eclipse.ui.part.MultiPageEditorPart.createPartControl(MultiPageEditorPart.java:276)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPartHelper(EditorReference.java:596)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPart(EditorReference.java:372)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPartReference.getPart(WorkbenchPartReference.java:566)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.getEditor(EditorReference.java:214)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditorBatched(WorkbenchPage.java:2595)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2528)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.access$10(WorkbenchPage.java:2520)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage$9.run(WorkbenchPage.java:2505)
    at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:67)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2500)
    at org.eclipse.ui.actions.OpenWithMenu.openEditor(OpenWithMenu.java:288)
    at org.eclipse.ui.actions.OpenWithMenu.access$0(OpenWithMenu.java:280)
    at org.eclipse.ui.actions.OpenWithMenu$2.handleEvent(OpenWithMenu.java:184)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:66)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:928)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3348)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2968)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:1914)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:1878)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:419)
    at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.IDEApplication.run(IDEApplication.java:95)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run(PlatformActivator.java:78)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:92)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:68)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:400)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:177)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:336)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:280)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:977)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:952)

Similar errors and variants for opening this with myEclipse Struts Config Editor.

at com.genuitec.eclipse.struts.editor.xml.SourceEditor.createPartControl(SourceEditor.java:314)
    at org.eclipse.ui.part.MultiPageEditorPart.addPage(MultiPageEditorPart.java:183)
    at org.eclipse.ui.part.MultiPageEditorPart.addPage(MultiPageEditorPart.java:153)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.struts.editor.multipage.StrutsConfigEditor.createSourceEditorPage(StrutsConfigEditor.java:232)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.struts.editor.multipage.StrutsConfigEditor.createPages(StrutsConfigEditor.java:288)
    at org.eclipse.ui.part.MultiPageEditorPart.createPartControl(MultiPageEditorPart.java:276)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPartHelper(EditorReference.java:596)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPartReference.getPart(WorkbenchPartReference.java:566)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditorBatched(WorkbenchPage.java:2595)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2528)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run(PlatformActivator.java:78)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:92)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:68)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:17

#263505 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Issues like this are most often conflict or configuration problems. Could you try downloading and installing using our “all-in-one” installer and see if that resolves the issue? It quite often does in cases like this.

#263548 Reply

krishnaku

@support-scott wrote:

Issues like this are most often conflict or configuration problems. Could you try downloading and installing using our “all-in-one” installer and see if that resolves the issue? It quite often does in cases like this.

Will this re-initialize my existing Eclipse installation? I have a lot of other plug-ins installed and configured and dont want to go through the exercise of re-doing all those once again.

#263584 Reply

Greg

The all-in-one installer includes its own Eclipse installation that will be separate from your existing one. So you will not interfere with your other plugins.

#265507 Reply

I have the same issue with ME 5.5M1 when double-clicking on https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/archetype/trunk/pom.xml in the Subclipse plugin.

I tried to find the version of the StructuredTextEditor which you use in ME 5.5M1 but couldn’t. Can you please have a look at line 3055 and find out what can be NULL there? This issue is really a pain when you try to open XML because it pops up again and again.

Issues like this are most often conflict or configuration problems.

Well, even if it is, it would be nice to find out what specifically causes it instead of reinstalling Eclipse all the time 🙁

Regards,

#265795 Reply

Strong

pls try to remove phpeditor. 😆

@krishnaku wrote:

Just installed MyEclipse plug-in into and existing Eclipse 3.2.1 install. I enabled an existing project for web application development. When I try to open resources with MyEclipse editors I get the following exception and variants. The message on the editor pane reads: Unable to create this part due to an internal error. Reason for the failure: An unexpected exception was thrown. I also get a message box saying “Unsupported Content Type in Editor”. The stack trace is below.

I got this trying to open a struts-config.xml file with the MyEclipse XML editor.

at org.eclipse.wst.sse.ui.StructuredTextEditor.update(StructuredTextEditor.java:3055)
    at org.eclipse.wst.xml.ui.internal.tabletree.XMLMultiPageEditorPart.addSourcePage(XMLMultiPageEditorPart.java:338)
    at org.eclipse.wst.xml.ui.internal.tabletree.XMLMultiPageEditorPart.createPages(XMLMultiPageEditorPart.java:505)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:177)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:336)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:280)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:977)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:952)

Similar errors and variants for opening this with myEclipse Struts Config Editor.

at com.genuitec.eclipse.struts.editor.xml.SourceEditor.createPartControl(SourceEditor.java:314)
    at org.eclipse.ui.part.MultiPageEditorPart.addPage(MultiPageEditorPart.java:183)
    at org.eclipse.ui.part.MultiPageEditorPart.addPage(MultiPageEditorPart.java:153)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.struts.editor.multipage.StrutsConfigEditor.createSourceEditorPage(StrutsConfigEditor.java:232)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.struts.editor.multipage.StrutsConfigEditor.createPages(StrutsConfigEditor.java:288)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:17

#265796 Reply

Strong

or try read WORKSPACE /.metadata/.log for error message

#265804 Reply

@digulla wrote:

I have the same issue with ME 5.5M1 when double-clicking on https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/archetype/trunk/pom.xml in the Subclipse plugin.

I tried to find the version of the StructuredTextEditor which you use in ME 5.5M1 but couldn’t. Can you please have a look at line 3055 and find out what can be NULL there? This issue is really a pain when you try to open XML because it pops up again and again.

Dear support guys, can I please get an answer for this one?

It really hurts me 🙁

Regards,

#265845 Reply

Strong

@digulla wrote:

Dear support guys, can I please get an answer for this one?

It really hurts me 🙁

Regards,

have you install phpeditor plugins?

try to remove it.

#265931 Reply

Greg

@digulla wrote:

Aaron, I just tried to open the pom.xml file that you just mentioned in 5.5M1 and opened it with no issues. Can you think of what you may have different in your environment that would cause it to fail? If we can replicate it we can try to address it.

#265963 Reply

Please send org.eclipse.wst.sse.ui.StructuredTextEditor.java to my private email address so I can see what happens in line 3055.

Regards,

#266107 Reply

Greg

Sending you one file will likely only lead to a goose chase. It appears that the reason for the failure is that the internal model is not available.

Since I can open the file with no issues, then it must be something to do with your install or your project. Lets try the following:

1. Install the MyEclipse 5.5M1 All-in-one installer (includes JRE+Eclipse+MyEclipse).
    2. If the pom.xml still does not open in this version, then the problem is either due to your project or some other file issue like encoding or platform endings.

So if after you try the all-in-one install and it doesn’t work, could you zip your project that contains the pom.xml and attach it to an email and send to support@genuitec.com
    When you send the email reference this thread. Thanks.

#266896 Reply

The problem is not the file but that it’s being opened from the SVN Browsing Perspective.

But since I have no information what is going wrong, I can’t open a bug against WST nor Subclipse.

#266897 Reply

Just an idea: What happens when you open a file named “pom.xml 54173” in the XML editor?

I got this idea because text files do open but they have the revision of the file appended to the filename. So I figured that the XML might wonder what kind of file “*.xml 54173” might be.

#267996 Reply

Update: The bug still exists in 5.5.1. It only happens in the XML editor. When I open a text or a java file, I get no error.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
Reply To: NullPointerExceptions opening MyEclipse XML editors

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in