facebook

Odd JSP Editor Problems

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Bugs
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

I’m still having this problem. Here’s my post in the J2EE forum (https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/odd-jsp-editing-errors/&highlight=). It’s getting quite annoying because it’s happened 4 times in the past hour. I’ve had to close and re-open the file each time.

For some reason, when I’m modifying a JSP file (not always, only occasionally), when I type, the editor seems to try to treat each keystroke as a command. It attempts to process each keystroke for a split second, but doesn’t write the output to the screen. When this happens, I’ve gone to other Java files and they aren’t affected. If I close and reopen the JSP file, it’ll be fine.

What I’ve noticed is that after typing a letter, if I move the cursor up a line, then the keystroke change I made will be shown. If I try to press DEL, then I get this error: “The command for the key you pressed failed.” However, if I move the cursor up a line, then the appropriate character is deleted. Another oddity is that, if I type a string of characters w/o pausing, when I move the cursor up a line, the word is inserted backwards.

I’ve only been using MyEclipse for 2 wks, but have had this problem 5 or 6 times. It’s quite annoying. I’m not sure if I hit some special key combination that tells the editor to listen for other keystrokes or not, but I wish this would stop. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#226203 Reply

Riyad Kalla

flanakin,
    What JDK are you using (java -version) and what Eclipse/MyEclipse version? We have two editor issues right now that we are tracking as high priorities and this is one of them, more and more people are noticing it and it IS f-ing annoying so we will add your info to the issue and see if we can get it fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

#226213 Reply

Thought I mentioned that. Oh well. Eclipse 3.0.1, MyEclipse 3.8.4, JDK 1.4.2-07.

Thanks for taking a look at it! 🙂

#226268 Reply

arjan.tijms

Just to provide a follow up to my previous postings (so you know I’m still having this problem) :

“me too”, I’ve seen this problem in the past and I’m still seeing it.

I did notice that the problem seems to be related to JSP includes that are included with the jsp suffix, but that are actually jsp fragments. In the past all our JSPs had this include, but now we’re using a couple of pages that haven’t and till so far we aren’t seeing the ‘odd behaviour’ in those pages.

#226273 Reply

Riyad Kalla

arjan,
    I added your comments from the other thread as well as this one, thank you. The issue was bumped last week to highest priority, I’ll try and keep you guys up to date.

#226274 Reply

Outstanding. Thanks!

#227692 Reply

Seeing the same behaviour with Eclipse 3.1.0, Myeclipse 3.8.4 and jdk 1.5.0.

#227693 Reply

Riyad Kalla

We need to help to develop a test case, vif if you are able to put together actions that can make this reproducable then kick them our way, I am compiling a list of tests for us to run to reproduce this internally (still no luck, we are starting to wonder if this is tied to something more system specific).

#227695 Reply

So far, I have not been able to reproduce the error on my own. And, honestly, I’ve decided to stop trying. I now work on my JSPs in another editor. Every time it did happen seemed completely random. There are times when I could go days without a problem and there are times when I’d have to close a file and reopen it, only to have the problem again, less than 5 minutes later. Typically, Eclipse starts to slow down before it happens. That’s about all I know. It’s only Eclipse, tho. Windows and the rest of my open apps work at normal response times, from what I’ve noticed.

#227710 Reply

I agree with flanakin, it is completely random. Funny thing is that I don’t see this behaviour when running Eclipse 3.0.1/2 and JDK 1.4.2_04 and MyEclipse 3.8.4.

Until recently I used VE, but had to let it go upon installing MyEclipse – since VE and MyEclipse don’t seem to like each other. Not sure whether this has any relevance and I cannot verify it, due to the fact that didn’t do any JSP work prior to this action. This was on the above mentioned configuration.

#227725 Reply

Riyad Kalla

since VE and MyEclipse don’t seem to like each other.

It’s the conflict with EMF/GEF that causes the problem 🙁

Guys do the rest of you run VE or have it installed?

#228130 Reply

@support-rkalla wrote:

It’s the conflict with EMF/GEF that causes the problem 🙁

Removing those as well didn’t improve the situation.

#228775 Reply

Thoras

I think you guys could look further than just MyEclipse … I’m using Eclipse 3.0.2 for php and c programming

I noticed flanakin posted something like this :
    What I’ve noticed is that after typing a letter, if I move the cursor up a line, then the keystroke change I made will be shown. If I try to press DEL, then I get this error: “The command for the key you pressed failed.” However, if I move the cursor up a line, then the appropriate character is deleted. Another oddity is that, if I type a string of characters w/o pausing, when I move the cursor up a line, the word is inserted backwards.

I encounter the same problem without using MyEclipse , so I think it is an Eclipse issue …

Greetz

#228780 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Thoras,
    Which editor were you using when you encountered this problem? We have seen reports of this in other nightlies as well but they seemed few and far between…

#228791 Reply

Hello,

I’m reading this thread with interest. Today was my first try to make use of the html editor and encountered the above problems. Ich encountered the same problem (letters appear from right to left, DEL does cause a error message). I also used VE for a while without any problem.

After reading the message about possible incompatibilities, I closed the VE projects and restarted eclipse and used only the html editor. It is still working.

My environment: Eclipse: 3.0.2 MyEclispse 3.8.4, JDK 1.4.2_07.
    I could not find any issues about the problem in the JDK bug database.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Reply To: Odd JSP Editor Problems

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in