facebook

Odd JSP Editor Problems

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Bugs
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Thoras

I think it has something to do with code recognition => before the fun starts (typing backwards and the del function) all my codecoloring gets mixed up.
    html code is shown in plain black instead of blue …

I think it starts when you try to mix up your code … (don’t close a <? or <% type some ” and ‘ but don’t close them) this way you try to confuse te colouring and all. Then do something the editor does not expect (because there are many errors): save your file and close it . then reopen it and fix your ‘errors’ by closing the ” and ‘ and closing the <? or %>) I guess that should be to much for our dear editor …

But I’m not really sure that this will always work, I know that that’s how it got messed up with me …

Thoras,
    Which editor were you using when you encountered this problem? We have seen reports of this in other nightlies as well but they seemed few and far between…

– PHPEclipse1.1.3
    – CDT : Eclipse C/C++ Development Tooling SDK

#228833 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Thoras,
    I’ve taken a quick look at phpEclipse plugin and it seems that all the editor code is custom which makes this problem seem even more embedded in Eclipse (we inheritied our problem from WTP, phpEclipse has the exact same problem but seems to use all their own code, so if we both have the same issue…. hmmmmm)

This is still under investigation internally, we are trying to mix this ellusive bug with getting 4.0 ready so I appologize if progress seems slow, 15hr pre-release development days are fairly unforgiving for straying off on non-release related subjects 🙂

#229012 Reply

Recently I installed 3.1M6, MyEclipse 3.8.4, VE 1.1M1, GEF 3.0.1 and EMF 2.1.0. Using jdk 5. It is about 4 days ago, and the behaviour hasn’t re-emerged – yet. I haven’t restarted Eclipse in a period of 4 days. So it might be as Thoras points out an non-MyEclipse issue.

#229452 Reply

Dave Cherry

I have Eclipse 3.1M6, My Eclipse 3.8.4 and JDK 1.5 and still get the same issue. On my setup it starts with the syntax highlighting skewing by a few characters, after this i generally get the odd key input behaviour. I can verify that java editors are un-affected.

What I can say is that I have had situations where large blocks of the JSP are shown as in error, only to re-open and find there is no error. It sometimes does not pick up changes where i had added a missing closing tag ie %> or >. This always seem to happen just before this error.

#229568 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Good News
    Alright this is some good news. One of our developers, Brian, was filled with a rage that burns like a 1000x suns last week and this weekend and actually dug down into the editors to figure out what is causing this problem and figured it out. We aren’t certain yet who’s fault the problem is, BUT the workaround is as follows:

Workaround for Backwards Typing
    The issue seems to go away IF the first thing you do when you start up MyEclipse is to make sure no editors are open (if they are, close all of them, and restart) then open up the Properties View (Window > Show View > Other > Basic > Properties) and make sure it is active or “ontop” where ever it is open. Now open up an HTML or JSP file with the Properties view still showing. Once you have done this, the interaction that was previously causing the “Backwards typing” will disappear for the remainder of your Eclipse session. The Properties view does not need to be active anymore once you have done this BUT you cannot close it.

Targetted Release for Fix
    We will be targetting the public 4.0 M1 release next week with a fix for the backwards typing that will no longer need the workaround given above. We appreciate all the patience and error reports and details everyone has filed that made this possible tofix.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
Reply To: Odd JSP Editor Problems

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in