facebook

Only Safari is displayed for Debugging: CLOSED

1. GapDebug
  2.  > 
  3. Getting Help – GapDebug
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

markdorrill

0) version of GapDebug installed

– 2014 EA4

1) Mobile device and OS version, e.g., iPhone5s/iOS 7.1.1, Nexus5/Android 4.4.3…

– iPod touch 4th gen

2) Workstation OS version (Win7, Mac OSX Yosemite, …) if a GapDebug software problem

– Win 7 64 bit

3) Description of the problem and if you can reproduce it consistently. Include a step by step description for how we can reproduce it is always appreciated

– I can setup and run everything but only see Safari shown for debugging GapDebug never any apps when they are running. The app has debugging enabled in PhoneGap Build.

5) GapDebug log file, located at <user-home>/.gapdebug/runtime/.metadata/.log if GapDebug software problem

– Unable to locate this file

6) Any other info that you feel will be helpful in resolving your problem quickly

#352042 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

Thanks for sharing your info.

>- I can setup and run everything but only see Safari shown for debugging GapDebug never any apps when they are running. The app has debugging enabled in PhoneGap Build.

A couple of thoughts:
    1) The most likely reason for your ios app to not appear in GapDebug when running on a connected iOS device is that the app was not built using a developer certificate and development provision profile. Use of this type of certificate & profile are a requirement by Apple to enable the app to be visible on the device to development tools like GapDebug. Take a look at the iOS developer portal to create and download a developer certificate and profile. This is all you have to do is rebuild your app using this type of cert and profile. You do not have to enable debugging (see #2 below)

Ping us if you need more details about the process.

2) The PhoneGap Build “debug” option ONLY enables your project for debugging with the Weinre technology which is much more limited than the GapDebug features. If you build your project with the details in #1 above then disable this option. Otherwise your app will incur the overhead of the weinre instrumted debug code and network communications that are injected into your app by PhoneGap Build. GapDebug does not rely on such modification.

You can read a little more about GapDebug vs Weinre in this blog by Sencha http://www.sencha.com/blog/using-gapdebug-to-test-hybrid-web-apps-built-with-sencha-frameworks

Thanks for trying GapDebug. Ping us as needed.

#352043 Reply

markdorrill

Thanks, the provisioning profile makes sense as it is currently a distribution profile. Even though this is obvious, I would recommend adding this important detail to your help guide as it is an important prerequisite.

Thanks for the link and clarification, the Sencha URL you referenced is how I found out about GapDebug in the first place.

Thanks for your assistance.

#352045 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

> I would recommend adding this important detail to your help guide as it is an important prerequisite.

Thanks for this feedback. There is some verbage in our docs about this requirement but I’m not sure it is highlighted to the level of importance. I’ve pass this feedback to our team.

Ping us as needed. Happy debugging!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Only Safari is displayed for Debugging: CLOSED

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in