facebook

Out of date tutorials = FRUSTRATION + DEMAND

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Documentation
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

nmatrix9

Hello Myeclipse Team,

I appreciate the work you are doing for us, and I also realize that due to limited resources you can not on the fly “correct” or update myeclipse tutorials on a whim. But you also have to realize that many people that are trying eclipse could be potential customers wanting to test the potential and capabilities of this technology and the last thing you want is for them to try a tutorial/documentation that is (inaccurate/out of date) and to get:

SEVERE: MSG_FileNotFound
    No such file or directory)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:106)
    at com.sun.enterprise.update.config.ConfigManagerImpl.getInputStream(ConfigMana
    gerImpl.java:429) Sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAcces
    sorImpl.java:39)

Due to inaccurate documentation or maybe a step was omitted from a quickstart tutorial. They’ll simply go to another solution with more reliable documentation. I know this has almost happened to me. So why not try what other competitors are doing.

Why not set up wiki pages for myeclipse quickstart tutorials/documentation that uses the knowledge of all your “registered/paying” customers, because we have a stake too in ensuring that the documentation/tutorials is deadly accurate as time is extremely precious to us to get projects rolling with Myeclipse. And some of us simply do not have either the a. the patience, b. the time or c. both to “debug” a tutorial which should be accurate and editor reviewed in the first place. And only REGISTERED OR PAYING CUSTOMERS can submit changes to the wiki to keep the information update and accurate.

Though probally not the major issue facing you guys right now, you have to admit this is a serious issue that keeps cropping up all the time. This also affects the branding and reputation of your company and eclipse in general.

Also wiki pages can have user submitted and peer reviewed tutorials submitted by customers themselves (with source code) and user rating. Which can be examined closely for errors.

In terms of setting up all of this up, with wiki software packages out there, I’d say it take you about a full week (connecting the database with the registered users database). This does not account for customization i.e. look and feel.

Again this is a strong business case you can make to your boss as this is something that your competitors are already or about to deploy in terms of supporting their customers.

I’m slightly surprised something like this has not already been deployed already, considering the amount of posts, topics, subtopics about inaccurate documentation. Again let me emphasize that once the wiki is up, it will be powered by the MyEclipse community, not just a few MyEclipse support members, thats the whole point of a wiki page.

#291879 Reply

Riyad Kalla

nmatrix9,

This is a fantastic idea… without going into too much detail I’m going to take this to our executive meeting Friday to discuss in ernest. I think you are exactly right that we aren’t giving the opportunities to the community right now that we should be and if driven correctly could really be beneficial for everyone.

There is the reality though that we do have to drive and deliver a unified product to end-users which includes docs but finding some balance between community wiki managed by premier users and staff in addition to the primary docs in the product… I think that’s a very do-able system at some point.

Thanks for seeding this conversation for us.

#292492 Reply

nmatrix9

@support-rkalla wrote:

nmatrix9,

This is a fantastic idea… without going into too much detail I’m going to take this to our executive meeting Friday to discuss in ernest. I think you are exactly right that we aren’t giving the opportunities to the community right now that we should be and if driven correctly could really be beneficial for everyone.

There is the reality though that we do have to drive and deliver a unified product to end-users which includes docs but finding some balance between community wiki managed by premier users and staff in addition to the primary docs in the product… I think that’s a very do-able system at some point.

Thanks for seeding this conversation for us.

Any progress?

#292785 Reply

Riyad Kalla

This message has not been recovered.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Out of date tutorials = FRUSTRATION + DEMAND

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in