facebook

OutOfMemoryError while starting WebLogic 7 [Closed]

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Java Joe

Hi,

I downloaded MyEclipse yesterday for evaluation to see how it fits in for a large J2EE project. And it is a mammoth J2EE project with budget constraints. That is why Myeclipse ide is a great choice bcoz it will help us increase productivity for a little price tag.
    BTW the project has been going on for years with several successful production releases. We have about 2000+ classes.
    We are using Weblogic 7.1 SP2, DB2, TopLink for ejb persistence and so on.

In the Window –> Preferences –> MyEclipse, I added the entry for setting heap size as -Xms256m -Xmx256m.
    Inspite of that I get a OutOfMemory error during startup, with the following message

com.sun.jdi.InvocationException occurred invoking method.

Thats it. There is no stack trace, no other messages indicating the error.
    The WebLogic Server is not terminated either. When I try to access the deployed applications thru the browser, I get a “cannot find Server” message, meaning the weblogic is not yet ready – which is obvious because it got an OutOfMemory error.

From a command line, the weblogic works fine with this setting.
    So I am wondering if my setting (Xms and Xmx) has taken effect at all.

Also another thing – To reach to this point I HAD to add the following entry
    -Djava.library.path=%PATH%;D:\SQLLIB\bin as JVM argument (although you seem to discourage that practice). Without that setting I would get a
    java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError : No db2jdbc in java.library.path long before I could go anywhere ahead in weblogic startup. Note that I have the the same setting in the PATh environment variable, but it seems MyEclipse is ignoring that setting.

Hopefully this long mail will not put you to sleep. But it is essential that issues like this in real life project are addressed effectively to make a purchase decision.

Thanks.

#197697 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Let me see if I can offer a bit of help on these questions.

In the Window –> Preferences –> MyEclipse, I added the entry for setting heap size as -Xms256m -Xmx256m.
    Inspite of that I get a OutOfMemory error during startup

Although these setting work from the command line, you have to remember that there is going to be additional overhead created by the debug context and Eclipse. Have you tried raising the limit to -Xmx256m? In the preferences settings, did you specify the two options each on their own line, or on one line? Each on their own is the correct way to have them recognized.

Also another thing – To reach to this point I HAD to add the following entry
    -Djava.library.path=%PATH%;D:\SQLLIB\bin as JVM argument (although you seem to discourage that practice).

The reason we discourage the practice is because there is a setting on the Paths preference page that allows you to augment the java library path. This is the recommended way to go. Simply add you SQL library directory there instead of specifying the -D option manually.

Note that I have the the same setting in the PATh environment variable, but it seems MyEclipse is ignoring that setting.

Your external environment settings are ignored by both Eclipse and MyEclipse. You have full control over the runtime JDK and settings you want from within the environment.

Hopefully this long mail will not put you to sleep.

Actually, I’d rather read ones like this instead of “something broke, please fix it” with no details provided. 😉

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#197702 Reply

Java Joe

😀

Great. I had everything on a single line in the preferences.
    Now I put each of them in their own line.

I also had to increase the Xmx to 320m and things started working.
    Your tips were of great help.

Thanks,
    Srikanth

#197703 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Srikanth,

It’s good to hear that you’re up and running. I think once you get everything configured you’ll find that MyEclipse is a very nice and inexpensive option for your development team. Please see the section on the website regarding “group licenses” when you’re ready. 🙂

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: OutOfMemoryError while starting WebLogic 7 [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in