facebook

Possible bug in JSF bean editor

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Bugs
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

tarantula
    Participant

Hi,

I’m using Eclipse 3.1 with ME4.0M3 on a Linux box and I may have found a bug with the JSF Bean Editor. MyEclipse throws an exception when you try to edit a managed bean that has a managed property with an EL expression as its value.

This error is easily reproducible by following these steps:

1. Create a new MyEclipse Web project.
    2. Add JSF capabilities (I used the Sun-RI implementation).
    3. Open the faces-config.xml file using the MyEclipse visual editor.
    4. In the Outline view drop-down menu, click Add Managed Bean.
    5. Enter the name of an existing bean class in your project.
    6. In the properties tabbed panel, click the Add button.
    7. Enter a valid name in the name field and click next.
    8. Enter an EL expression such as “#{someValue}” without the quotes in the Property Value field.
    9. Click Finish.

MyEclipse will generate the following error message: “An error has occurred. See error log for more details”.

The stack trace for the NullPointerException in the log is as follows:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.jface 4 2 2005-08-27 21:06:07.596
    !MESSAGE Problems occurred when invoking code from plug-in: "org.eclipse.jface".
    !STACK 0
    java.lang.NullPointerException
            at org.apache.myfaces.config.impl.digester.elements.ManagedProperty.getRuntimeValue(ManagedProperty.java:129)
            at com.genuitec.eclipse.jsf.wizards.NewManagedBeanWizardPage$ManagedropertyTableLabelProvider.getColumnText(NewManagedBeanWizardPage.java:72)
            at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.TableViewer.doUpdateItem(TableViewer.java:472)
            at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$UpdateItemSafeRunnable.run(StructuredViewer.java:434)
            at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.run(InternalPlatform.java:1044)
            at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Platform.run(Platform.java:783)
            at org.eclipse.ui.internal.JFaceUtil$1.run(JFaceUtil.java:44)
            at org.eclipse.jface.util.SafeRunnable.run(SafeRunnable.java:148)
            at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.updateItem(StructuredViewer.java:1763)
            at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.TableViewer.internalRefreshAll(TableViewer.java:809)
            at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.TableViewer.internalRefresh(TableViewer.java:748)
            at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.TableViewer.internalRefresh(TableViewer.java:737)
            at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$7.run(StructuredViewer.java:1264)
            at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.preservingSelection(StructuredViewer.java:1201)
            at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.refresh(StructuredViewer.java:1262)
            at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.refresh(StructuredViewer.java:1221)
    /bin/bash: ESSAGE: command not found
            at org.eclipse.jface.action.Action.runWithEvent(Action.java:996)
            at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:538)
            at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$2(ActionContributionItem.java:488)
            at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$5.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:400)
            at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:66)
            at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1021)
            at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:2867)
            at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2572)
            at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:1699)
            at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:1663)
            at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:367)
            at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:143)
            at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.IDEApplication.run(IDEApplication.java:103)
            at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run(PlatformActivator.java:226)
            at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:376)
            at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:163)
            at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
            at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
            at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
            at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
            at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:334)
            at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:278)
            at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:973)
            at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:948)

Using EL expressions in the config file is a JSF feature. I can understand if MyEclipse would fail when trying to resolve a request-time expression at run-time, but perhaps it would be preferable for the IDE to fail silently and not report the error in this case.

I searched for a similar bug report but I didn’t find one. Has this issue been documented? Is a bug fix planned for the 4.0 release due next week?

Thanks,
    tarantula

#235892 Reply

Riyad Kalla

tarantula,
    We haven’t seen this reported before, but with your very detailed steps I was able to reproduce it immediately, I will file the issue and we should get this fixwed for maintenence release.

#235902 Reply

kitm

Riyad,

I know this would be adding to your support burden, so I apologize in advance, but would it be possible to move all postings that start in a non-bug forum and are subsequently acknowleged to be a bug (like this one) into the Bugs forum? This way I can track all bugs that I’m interested in by looking in one forum rather than surfing through all of them looking for *actual* bugs. Similarly, when a topic originally posted to Bugs is determined to NOT be a bug, could you move it to the appropriate non-bug forum? I really admire the transparency with which you guys handle this stuff, and this would just make it even better.

Keep up the awsome support work. This forum should be the gold-standard for all commercial product support forums. There are many product vendors I deal with (who charge 10-20X what you do for their tools) that should look at how you guys do this and hang their heads in shame.

-Kit

#235903 Reply

kitm

Wow, that was fast! I have to be careful not to blink around here…

ME Support Forums Rule!

#235904 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Wow, that was fast! I have to be careful not to blink around here…

I blame the “coffee”, we aren’t allowed to cut it with anything, just cup fulls of straight coffee grounds.

#240043 Reply

tarantula
    Participant

Hello,

Any news on this?

Thanks

#240044 Reply

tarantula
    Participant

@tarantula wrote:

Hello,

Any news on this?

Thanks

Never mind, I see that this issue was fixed in 4.0.2 and I’m downloading it as we speak.

Thanks for your help!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Possible bug in JSF bean editor

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in