facebook

problem importing .rar file

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

MikeBurke

I tried to import a .rar file into an ear I created with Myeclipse but I get the following error from eclipse:”resource /home does not exist”. I’m trying to import the .rar file from Java build path->libraries. The path too the .rar is /home/mburke … I successfully imported a jar file into the project from /home/mburke… I checked the eclipse site and several people had mentioned the same problem but Ii didn’t see any solution posted. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#201502 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Mike,
    Why are you trying to import a rar file? RAR (as you know) is a archiving format, much like arj, zip and tar.gz are. Now Eclipse lets you import JAR files and ZIP files because they are both the same thing (use the same compression algorithm) when you want to import libraries (jdbc drivers, apis, etc.). So if you compressed some source code into a RAR file, and want to add it to your build path so you can use it, you will have to uncompress it and recompress it as a JAR. THe easiest way to do this is to just create a zip with Windows XP or WinZip or something, then rename it to JAR.

So I’m not too sure why you are getting that particular error, but I can say that you aren’t going to have success anyway since its a RAR file and Eclipse won’t be able to read it.

Does this help? Or did I miss the mark?

#201552 Reply

MikeBurke

I want to import the .rar to test my app and then deploy it in compressed format. .rar files are compressed just like jar files and ear files. I think you should support importing them so they can be tested, used from eclipse.

#201553 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Mike,
    So sorry about that I wasn’t farmiliar with RAR files in this regard. Ok now that I know what they are, if you rename the RAR file to JAR, are you able to import it without incident then?

#201558 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Mike,

RAR files are typically deployed as part of your enterprise application. The easiest way to import one ‘as is’ is to use Import… > File System and then select the file. Or, you could drag it from the Explorer and drop it into the project you want.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: problem importing .rar file

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in