facebook

Problems Opening Editor

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Old Posts
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Terry Roe

Greetings,

I get the following error when I have open Eclipse with no MyEclipse supported files open, and then try to open one of the supported files:

—–
    Problems Opening Editor

Cannot open default editor on log4j.xml. Unable to instantiate editor:
    nt.sf.solareclipse.xml.internal.ui.text.XMLEditor
    org.eclispe.cor.Runtime.CoreException: Plug-in “nt.sf.solareclips.xml.ui” was
    unable to instantiate class “nt.sf.solareclipse.xml.internal.ui.text.XMLEditor”.
    —–

This happened when I tried the fix to the previous post “Could not restore workbench layout”. I tried closing all the editors and restarting. This was the first file I tried to open. I’ve also seen this error before when first opening a MyEclipse supported file. Do I have a configuration/installation issue?

Thanks for your help.

TR

#196733 Reply

Terry Roe

BTW, I can subsequently open the file after the error appears. It’s just that I get the error the first time I try to open a MyEclipse supported file.

TR

#196739 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

TR,

MyEclipse packages the SolarEclipse XML editor. Do you happen to have SolarEclipse also installed separately, directly into your workbench plugins directory? If so, shutting down Eclipse and removing the old version of SolarEclipse should solve the problem.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#196741 Reply

Terry Roe

Scott,

No there is no previous version of SolarEclipse in my current installation of Eclipse. In fact, this was a “clean” install of Eclipse to which I added only MyEclipse. The only thing that may be somewhat non-standard (which I can think of right now) is that I start Eclipse in a different directory from where it is installed. This is because I have my workspace folder on a separate drive. Could this be causing problems?

Thanks,

TR

#196748 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

I start Eclipse in a different directory from where it is installed. This is because I have my workspace folder on a separate drive. Could this be causing problems?

Well, it certainly is non-standard so I really don’t know if it can cause problems. However the “right” way to place your workspace somewhere else is to start eclipse with the -data commandline option. Try this, set up an alias to your eclipse.exe file and then set the startup directory to the Eclipse directory but use a target commandline like the following to refer to your workspace:

C:\dev\ide\eclipse-2.1\eclipse\eclipse.exe
    -data c:\dev\workspaces\eclipse2.1workspace

That may clear things up.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#196750 Reply

Wayne Kidd

I believe that unbeknownst to TR, someone has done a 2.1.1 upgrade to his system. I use the same technique to start in separate drive (actually on a network drive) and I have none of the problems TR is experienceing. However, I have another system that I did a 2.1.1 upgrade to, that has all manner of wierd and unexplainable problems.

Wayne

#196751 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Interesting point. TR, can you tell us what version and build id are reported when you navigate to Help->About Eclipse Platform?

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#196765 Reply

Terry Roe

Scott and Wayne,

Yes, in fact, I have upgraded to Eclipse 2.1.1. I didn’t realize that would be a problem. Are these known issues with 2.1.1? Do you need more detailed information about these problems in order to track down and fix them?

Thanks for helping preserve my sanity. 🙂

TR

#196770 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Yes, in fact, I have upgraded to Eclipse 2.1.1. I didn’t realize that would be a problem.

Yes, they’re known and they’ve been addressed internally for the GA release. We’ll have versions for both Eclipse 2.1 and 2.1.1 available at that time. Until Tuesday, only Eclipse 2.1 is supported.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#196772 Reply

Terry Roe

Scott,

I couldn’t find any reference to these issues in the forums or elsewhere on the site. Are they listed somewhere? I’d like to know for future reference.

Thanks,

TR

#196774 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

No problem. It’s in the Installation section of the FAQ, here: http://myeclipseide.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index&myfaq=yes&id_cat=4&categories=Installation+and+Configuration&parent_id=0#35

It’s been in a few other support threads too, but pretty deep down. We’ll highlight it in the doc on the next release to avoid the confusion in the future.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#196775 Reply

Terry Roe

Scott,

Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.

TR

#196778 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

After we worked through this I noticed in the logs that your subscription upgrade came through. Thank you very much from all of us.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: Problems Opening Editor

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in