facebook

Project specific application server configurations

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

John-N

Hi,

We have 3 different large J2EE applications that we build with eclipse 3.1. For deployment, we currently use custom ant scripts that externally deploy the applications to 3 different Weblogic domains. During development, we may have as many as 3-4 different versions (releases) of each of these applications which are managed as separate eclipse “projects” (grand total of 9-12 eclipse projects).

When we try to use My Eclipse 4.0M2 we run into configuration problems because My Eclipse seems to only allow Application Server configuration to be performed at the global scope (i.e. one configuration for all eclipse Projects). We would like for My Eclipse to launch the appropriate WLS domain for the given project and discontinue the external deployments.

We need to be able to have a different Application Server configuration for each eclipse project because there are project-specific 3rd party JARs (for example) that need to be included in the Application Server classpath. Currently (without My Eclipse) these third party JARs are referenced in the eclipse Project classpath and work fine for compiling.

-John

#233452 Reply

Riyad Kalla

(i.e. one configuration for all eclipse Projects)

The mapping is 1 project can only be deployed at any given time on 1 server. You can have 20 projects all deployed to the same server or different servers if you wish, but you can’t deploy a single project to multiple servers at the same time, it breaks hot syncing for us which is why we have that requirement.

We need to be able to have a different Application Server configuration for each eclipse project

John I don’t follow what you all tried as to think that this isn’t allowed. Wehn you open the deployment tool, just select the project from the drop down and hit Add, then select a compliant app server and your deployment type for each project.

#233469 Reply

John-N

We only need to run one at a time, but would like to have many different Application Server configurations (actually tracked by project).

Here’s a scenario: let’s say that I am a coder on two different systems: “A” and “B”. Each has two releases: 1.0 and 1.1. So in Eclipse I have 4 projects total: A-1.0, A-1.1, B-1.0, B-1.1. Both systems use Weblogic. System A has it’s own domain and System B has it’s own domain.

Let’s say I have to fix a bug in A-1.1, so I load up that Eclipse project. In order to test I have to go into:

Windows / Preferences / My Eclipse / Application Server / WebLogic8

and change all of the settings because Systems A and B are on different domains and have project-specific classpaths. After making those global configuration changes I then switch over to Eclipse Project B-1.1 and need to continue development there.

Now I have to go back into:

Windows / Preferences / My Eclipse / Application Server / WebLogic8

again and reconfigure Weblogic for System B’s domain configuration.

What we need is for this Application Server configuration settings to be project specific so that A-1.0, A-1.1, B-1.0, B1.1 projects can all have their own settings. Maybe there can be a global default (like today), but we need for each project to be able to override or add to the default configuration.

We’ll only be running one at a time, but switching back and forth is extremely painful.

Thanks,
    John

#233487 Reply

Riyad Kalla

John,
    Thank you for the clarification with what you needed, from my previous experience people typically developing in a single domain or on app server (Tomcat) that only support 1 domain, so your previous question was confusing me. If you are using multiple domains this is a PIA. Let me discuss this with someone from the dev team and see if we have anything planned to help get around this in the future, for now, your workaround is going to be the only way to do this. You might consider externally launching the app server and using remote debugging.

#233488 Reply

Riyad Kalla

John,
    After discussing this with some devs and eventually management as it turns out 5.0 will address this issue and allow for complex server configurations and deployments to handle the likes of what you have outlined here.

#250283 Reply

John-N

Riyad,

Are project-specific application server configurations still planned for version 5.0 ?

Thanks,
    John

#250293 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Yes this is still targetted for 5.0.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Project specific application server configurations

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in