facebook

Project Structure questions

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Documentation
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

lkline

My question is what kind of project structure is required to work with MyEclipse. Our existing projects have top level folders such as src and test (java source code), jsp (jsp code), taglib (taglibs), lib (jars), images( gifs, jpegs, etc.), xsl (xsl code), db (various database scripts and stored procedures). Some of the projects are web projects in the sense that they will get deployed to Tomcat. Others are mostly java code or stuff that is used by other projects.

For deployment we use Ant to construct a distribution folder for a project and to jar up and copy in the necessary files from the top level project folders. Then the distribution folder is copied to the corresponding webapp folder under Tomcat.

Can I use MyEclipse to work with these projects as they are currently structured or will I need to restructure them.

I am running Eclipse 3.1.0 (Build id: 200408122000) on Redhat Linux. I installed it just before I installed MyEclipse, however, there was an existing CVS repository with a number of projects in it. MyEclipse is the only plugin I have installed. We use JDK 1.4.2 and Tomcat 4.x.

Thanks.

#217214 Reply

Riyad Kalla

You can check this out http://www.myeclipseide.com/FAQ+index-myfaq-yes-id_cat-30.html#111

But the gist of it is that MyEclipse works best with an exploded WAR format… however you can mix and match this to some extent as long as you clearly have a webroot directory of some kind with a WEB-INF directory under it, and all taglibs, and descriptor XML files are correctly under it… other than that the output dir and libs can reside elsewhere…

If you could give your directory structure in a nice indented format like that FAQ entry, wrapping your stuff in code tags (use the “code” button when posting) then I’ll be able to give you a more clear answer.

#217677 Reply

lkline

Here is our current project structure. This could be changed but it would be a lot of work because it would mean changing all the ant script, various shell scripts, and many references in the jsp and xsl code.

/<project root>
    + /src <– Java source code
    + /lib <– libraries needed by the java and jsps
    + /images <– images for the website
    + /jsp <– jsps for the application
    + /tagib <– taglibs used by the jsps
    + /db <– database scripts
    + /ss <– xsl used by the java and jsp code

Our ant build script creates a distribution war in which the src folder is copied to WEB-INF/classes, the lib folder is copied to WEB-INF/lib and the jsp and taglib folders are copied to the webapp root. The images and ss folders are copied under the webapp root.

Larry

#217682 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Without an apparent webroot or even WEB-INF directory this will not work with MyEclipse. We are moving forward on eventually creating an extremely flexible project format, but the more we talk about it and define it the more we realize it will be a HUGE undertaking, so it may not happen in the time frame your team needs it in.

Out of curiosity, are you and your team currently using an IDE that supports this structure?

#217731 Reply

Robert Varga
    Participant

Riyad,

what has the discussion about implementing really flexible project structures arrived to?

will any part or features of my specification suggestion be implemented?

Regards,

Robert

#217737 Reply

Riyad Kalla

what has the discussion about implementing really flexible project structures arrived to?

Its not finalized, maybe you can post to the QA forum and ask and we can run some ideas by everyone?

will any part or features of my specification suggestion be implemented?

AFAIK we all have links to/read your post… I don’t remember the details of it but the 10k foot view of it is a Logical/Physical mapping system… “HERE is my webroot” “HERE is my WEB-INF dir” “HERE is my classes dir”, etc…. then the respective tools, editors, etc… use the logical data to resolve any dependencies they need…. the deployment tool would assemble all the logical parts into the appropriate physical locations and spit it out to the server…. but again, I don’t know more detailed info at this time (but others do, and I could probably get them to post ifyou asked).

#217738 Reply

Robert Varga
    Participant

Not exactly, in the deployment part I don’t specify what directory is where (so that there is no defined number of directories), but I just specify which directory root is grafted to which position in the deployment tree.

And when you look for a class, you have a couple of positions (from reversing the deployment mappings) to get the original places of specific files in the deployment tree. But that is…

Regards,

Robert

#217739 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Not exactly, in the deployment part I don’t specify what directory is where (so that there is no defined number of directories), but I just specify which directory root is grafted to which position in the deployment tree.

This sounds similar to how I was briefly explained it… maybe I just didn’t explain it well. Now you have me curious about the details 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Project Structure questions

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in