facebook

Question re: Team Plugins, MyEclipse, and ignored resources

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Comments
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Jason Hobbs
    Participant

Hey all! I hope you are all having a fantastic day, it’s a nice day today here in Las Colinas (nr Dallas, TX) and I’m ready to go drive around at lunchtime with the windows down and sunroof open, maybe sit outside and drink a coffee somewhere.

Anyways, down to business…

I’m using PVCS with eclipse and MyEclipse and one thing I noticed is that there are some files which I obviously don’t want to become part of the version conrol equation.

So far I added ‘.mymetadata’ to the ignored-resources list in the team setup, but what else could / should be excluded? I don’t mind storing things that are important to project layout but if they’re only “preferred’ i’d like to exclude them, since some of the developers may not be using eclipse or myeclipse.

I control .classpath, .launch files, .project etc as usual but is it necessary to control the contents of .settings, for example? The other thing I’ve found is that there’s no good way to add FOLDERS to the ignore resources list, this is obvioulsy either an eclipse limitation or me not knowing the correct syntax for their pattern matcher.

Anyways, perhaps y’all could let me know what your experiences are, what you’re excluding etc.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Jase

#211941 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Jase,
    Since you are asking for general feedback I’m moving this to Random Thoughts so people can feel free to answer what their experiences are (if this is wrong let me know).

#211942 Reply

Riyad Kalla

My 2 cents on this subject:

I use CVS and will typically add all Eclipse/MyEclipse/IDE files to .cvsignore, as well as generated directories (/docs/api, /bin and /build). My rule of thubm is that “anything that can be generted should not be checked in and anything specific to an IDE should not be checked in”.

Some people don’t like to check in the libs that a project relies on to save on disk space (for example, you have 5 Struts apps all using the Struts JARs)… I think this is overkill and can lead to problems… I develop with the mind set that a repository should contain all the files necessary for that project to compile/run. It also helps keep everyone in sync if for example you find a bug with Web App 1, and need to upgrade the Struts libs to a nightly build JUST for that 1 webapp, whereas if you didn’t have the LIBS in CVS and instead had all the users doing local setups of their libraries they would never see the change.

Also disk space is cheap, so I don’t see the need to go out of your way to save a few meg.

YMMV as always, I’m sure someone can post here and give a great reason why you NEVER want to check libs in… I guess it just depends what your experience teaches you. (and those people would be WRONG of course :D)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Question re: Team Plugins, MyEclipse, and ignored resources

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in