facebook

"unable to locate companion shared library"(Mac OS

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

support-tony
    Keymaster

Ben,

If you think something might work, try it (rename a file or folder, if you are unsure about deleting it, though deletion is recoverable from the trash can). I thought the problem might be with .pulse2.locator because pulse initialisation seemed to be looking for an existing directory below where the .pulse2.locator file was pointing to. If it’s still showing the same error then that wasn’t the issue.

Personally, I’d delete everything related to MyEclipse (apart from your workspace, of course), anywhere it can be found on the computer, and simply start again. We know that installing Pulse or MyEclipse works fine on a clean Mac (and I’ve installed MyEclipse many times on my Mac), so cleaning out MyEclipse code is likely to solve the problems.

By the way, did you ever check that everything was migrated to the same paths as on the old computer? I mentioned this a couple of times but you’ve never said anything about it. Also, did you locate the folder with the myeclipse executable file. in which the ini file should be placed?

#326205 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

Ben,

I should add that it is probably better not to delete .myeclipse.properties, as it contains your license key. It will have no effect on installation.

In an earlier post you mentioned a file, “redirect-to-install”, in the MacOS folder, which is part of the package contents of your migrated MyEclipse 7.5 application. If you right click on that file and select Open With->Other…, then select the TextEdit application, you’ll see exactly where the MyEclipse 7.5 executable file is. The folder containing that file should have the myeclipse.ini file in it.

#326280 Reply

Thanks Tony! That was helpful.

It turns out, the “redirect-to-install” file was pointing to “/Library/Pulse…” –A location I had not even remotely thought to look for it. Here are the contents of “redirect-to-install”:

#!/bin/sh
    cd “/Library/Pulse/MyEclipse 7.5”
    “/Library/Pulse/MyEclipse 7.5/myeclipse.app/Contents/MacOS/myeclipse” &
    exit

Thanks for your help there! I don’t know why everyone assumed I would know to look there. I thought if there was an application on my machine it would be in the applications folder, and not launching a file that lived elsewhere.

OKAY. So, there IS a “myeclipse.ini” file there. Here are its contents…do you see any problems here?

-startup
    ../../../../Common/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.101.R34x_v20081125.jar
    –launcher.library
    ../../../../Common/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.carbon.macosx_1.0.101.R34x_v20080731
    -clean
    -configuration
    ../../../configuration
    -vmargs
    -Xmx512m
    -XX:MaxPermSize=256m
    -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=64m
    -Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.carbon.smallFonts
    -XstartOnFirstThread

What would you recommend for a next step now that you have seen these files information?

#326285 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

Ben,

It looks like there are multiple places that MyEclipse has been installed into, so it really seems to be a bit of a mess. There is /Library/Genuitec, /Library/Pulse and /Applications. I don’t know how it got to be that complicated but did you check the paths mentioned in the myeclipse.ini file? It seems to be looking for common code (the companion shared library) in /Library/Pulse/Common. Does that, and the two files mentioned in the ini file, exist?

#326289 Reply

Hey Tony.

I agree…it’s a mess!

I checked on those files, and neither of the first two files exist. All I have under /Library/Pulse/Common/plugins/ is this file “org.mozilla.xulrunner.carbon.macosx_1.9.0.7-zmyeclipse75020090612”

The “../../../configuration” directory DOES exist and contains the following: “/org.eclipse.equinox.app/.manager/.fileTableLock” And that’s all.

Can I get the appropriate versions of “org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.101.R34x_v20081125.jar” and “org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.carbon.macosx_1.0.101.R34x_v20080731” to drop into that directory? Where can I find them?

Or, if that’s not a good idea, what do you recommend next?

#326290 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

Ben,

I would delete everything related to MyEclipse except your .myeclipse.properties file, in your home directory. That is, delete /Library/Genuitec, /Library/Pulse, /Applications/MyEclipse 7.5, .pulse2.locator file, in your home directory. I think that’s it. Make sure you have Java installed (which I think is likely, given your earlier posts), and install 10.1. There are three ways to install 10.1: with the all-in-one installer, with pulse and on top of an eclipse classic install, via an archived update site (downloadable from our site). Try all of those methods.

The Common folder should contain all of the MyEclipse code, so it would not be enough to just somehow install the two files mentioned in the ini file.

Another thing to consider is, for experimental purposes if the install doesn’t go well, is to create another user on your machine and try to install from that user. This would, at least, be a fairly clean environment to install into and would let us know if an install is possible on your machine.

Another point is that any install failures should have created a log file somewhere. I’m not near my mac, again, so can’t verify locations but it might be created in a folder for temporary files. This folder should be pointed to by one of your environment variables (open a terminal and type “env”, to see your environment variables). If it’s not there, have a look around at places it might be located (e.g. the current directory, the directory in which the installer is, or the install directory, if it gets as far as creating that).

#326293 Reply

Tony.

Thank you so much for your time and patience and helping me resolve these issues.

After deleting all references that I can find to installations of MyEclipse, Pulse, and the directories you mentioned, I was able to successfully install MyEclipse 10.1!

Also, a special thanks to Joy for noting that I shouldn’t have to reconfigure MyEclipse with our CVS system. As she suggested, I simply set the working directory to my old directory that I had used with MyEclipse 7.5. Voila! Now my old working environment and all the files I had open came up in MyEclipse 10.1!

I’m not sure exactly why my old system didn’t copy over properly, but in the end, having the latest MyEclipse version on set up and working just as my old one was, I’m very happy. Thanks!

~ben

#326294 Reply

Tony.

Thank you so much for your time and patience and helping me resolve these issues.

After deleting all references that I can find to installations of MyEclipse, Pulse, and the directories you mentioned, I was able to successfully install MyEclipse 10.1!

Also, a special thanks to Joy for noting that I shouldn’t have to reconfigure MyEclipse with our CVS system. As she suggested, I simply set the working directory to my old directory that I had used with MyEclipse 7.5. Voila! Now my old working environment and all the files I had open came up in MyEclipse 10.1!

I’m not sure exactly why my old system didn’t copy over properly, but in the end, having the latest MyEclipse version on set up and working just as my old one was, I’m very happy. Thanks!

~ben

#326295 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

Ben,

That’s excellent news. I’m glad you’re up and running again and thanks for letting us know.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
Reply To: "unable to locate companion shared library"(Mac OS

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in