facebook

Reason for program group start menu [Closed]

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I would like to know the reason for adding the program group myEclipse. The startup link simply activates eclipse. Myself, I keep my workspace in a directory other than c:/eclipse and use a sortcut with the -data switch to make it work. Is this a problem?
    Thanks,
    Mike

#196513 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Mike,

First, the installer only adds the program group if you tell it you want it to. It’s on one of the configuration pages you step through when you install MyEclipse. The default is to create the program group as this is the expected behavior with double-click installers. Adding the group make it much easier for more novice users to conveniently launch Eclipse, rather than have to mess with creating their own aliases manually.

Keeping a separate workspace directory is not a problem at all. If you like the convenience of the program group, simply edit the alias it points to and add your -data option and you’ll be all set. Personally, this is exactly what I do. On the other hand, if you don’t like the program group, simply don’t select it the next time you upgrade MyEclipse. No problem either way.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#196515 Reply

Thanks for the reply. Its not a problem, only a bit of confusion.
    /mike

#196520 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Good deal. Hope that cleared it up for you and the many others that no doubt had the same question. 🙂

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Reason for program group start menu [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in