facebook

Remote debugging not working. Tomcat 4.1.27

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

tdurkin

I’m running Eclipse 2.1.2, MyEclipse 2.6.4, JDK 1.4.1, Tomcat 4.1.27, Win2k

I have a web app that I developed in JBuilder. My development team recently switched to MyEclipse and I’ve been trying to get my existing webapp running. The application is working fine, but I can’t get remote debugigng to work.

I have Tomcat 4 set up in MyEclipse to run on 1.4.1 and have enabled debugging.

When I try to connect to Tomcat for remote debugging I get the following errors/exception:

In Eclipse “Failed to connect to remote VM. Connection Refused.”

In my console:

SEVERE: BAD packet signature 19012
    4a 44 57 50 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  | JDWP............
    00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  | ................
    (several dozen lines just like the preceeding)
    Jan 28, 2004 10:19:19 AM org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable run
    SEVERE: Caught exception executing org.apache.jk.common.SocketConnection@146ad8b, terminating thread
    java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(ChannelSocket.java:569)
        at org.apache.jk.common.SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSocket.java:679)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:619)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Terry

P.S. Sorry if I’m posting this in the wrong forum, but for now I’m considering that it’s a configuration problem. Feel free to move it.

#202552 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Tomcat 4.1 doesn’t *support* debugging, you will need to move to Tomcat 5. I believe its JSR045 that needs to be supported.

Here’s a quick link:
    http://apache.mirrors.hoobly.com/jakarta/tomcat-5/v5.0.18/bin/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.18.exe

#202558 Reply

tdurkin

@support-rkalla wrote:

Tomcat 4.1 doesn’t *support* debugging, you will need to move to Tomcat 5. I believe its JSR045 that needs to be supported.

Here’s a quick link:
    http://apache.mirrors.hoobly.com/jakarta/tomcat-5/v5.0.18/bin/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.18.exe

Weird. JBuilder never had a problem with it (not a troll, honest). I wonder how they did it…

Anyway, our production environment will be Tomcat 4.1 and I’d really like to develop against the same code-line that we’ll be using in prod. Does anyone know if there are any versions of Tomcat 4.x that do support remote debugging?

Thanks,

Terry

#202562 Reply

tdurkin

Riyad,

I re-read your message. I think I wasn’t clear enough in my original post. I’m not concerned with JSP debugging right now (JSR-054).

My problem is that the debugger won’t even connect to the remote VM. I can deal w/o JSP debugging, but it’d be nice if *regular* debugging would work.

Thanks,

Terry

#202563 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Terry,
    JBuilder likes to retrofit everything to work with their IDE. The benefit is that you don’t spend a lot of time getting stuff to work, it just works. The downside is that 90% of the time it works because of some JBuilder-specific feature and the resulting solution is not as generic as you would hope. I only know this because a multi-year war has been fairing between myself and my coworker. He loves it because he doesn’t have to think about too much and I hate it because I have to go back behind him cleaning up CVS repositories, project files, ant scripts, etc. ANYWAY… that’s not the point, I just wanted to let you know why it works with JBuilder. A hint that this is a JBuilder-only feature is that none of NetBeans, Sun ONE or IntelliJ officially supported debugging with Tomcat 4.1 and required you to downgrade to 4.0 if you wanted debugging.

So now on to your real problem, you have Tomcat installed on your machine, you setup myEclipse to deploy your app to that machine AND to run the app server in debug mode AND to use a JDK instead of a JRE (is this right so far?) and when you go to launch the app server, you get the “cannot connect” error right?

#202568 Reply

tdurkin

Riyad,

Yes. Tomcat 4.1.27 is installed on my machine, myEclipse is set to deploy my app to Tomcat 4 in debug mode and I’m using the 1.4.2_02 JDK and I cannot connect for remote debugging. My app runs fine but I cannot debug it.

I’m thinking it may be time to re-install all of the tools I’m using to see if that will solve the problem.

Thanks for replying!

Terry

#202572 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Terry please install Tomcat 5 first and then setup the app server in MyEclipse and launch it from MyEclipse to see if it works. Anything with the word “debug” in it w.r.t. to Tomcat 4.1 is probably not going to work, connection or otherwise. If that doesn’t work for you, then we start digging into everything else.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Remote debugging not working. Tomcat 4.1.27

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in