facebook

RSA Progress

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. WebSphere Development
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Marvin Toll
    Participant

Our Fortune 10 company uses RSA … not (RAD). Has your MyEclipse Blue offering matured to the point it is competitive with RSA?

#308319 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Marvin,

I apologize for the delayed response. If you have not already seen it – we have the Blue vs RAD doc here. I have my team looking at how we stack up against RSA; can you tell us what features of RSA you are most interested in seeing in Blue?

#308327 Reply

Marvin Toll
    Participant

We have application development occuring on four continents. It is impossible to know which RSA features are being used by all the teams. For MyEclipse Blue to be seriously considered as an alternative we need a definitive list of features not supported. (Including ‘facets’ not supported.)

#308400 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Marvin,

Since MyEclipse Blue focuses on application development for WebSphere it is a direct replacement for RAD. As you know, RSA has all the capabilities of RAD as well as adding support for model-driven development. To know if MyEclipse Blue would be applicable depends on whether or not your organization traditionally uses MDE to fully model applications and generate them from those models. And, if requirements change, are the models adjusted and the application regenerated? If you’re making heavy use of this multi-cycle MDE approach, then the UML modeling in MyEclipse Blue is not a replacement. Rather than enable MDE, we enable code reverse-engineering into diagrams (class and sequence) as well as initial application scaffolding generation from models as well. But our support for multiple iterations of generation, where models are the focus and code is just an artifact that is generated, will be found lacking because MyEclipse Blue is “code centric” not “model centric”. If, on the other hand your developers use code more than models or models just to analyze or bootstrap coding, then MyEclipse Blue would likely work well. Also, please note that while MyEclipse Blue may be used as a replacement IDE, it can also be used in addition to RAD or RSA since it makes no changes to projects that would prevent those tools from functioning as well; it’s made to co-exist within the same development team with both RAD or RSA.

That said, we also know that no matter what shows up on a checklist comparison from a vendor that the real proof is how does it do for your development needs? And the only way to know that is for your organization to try it out for what you want to do.

As for facet support, we do support facets because in addition to the MyEclipse project types we also support standard WTP and IBM project models as well, I will ask my team to provide a list and post to this thread.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: RSA Progress

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in