facebook

Ruby, jRuby, Python, and PHP support

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Feature Requests
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Unnsse Khan

Could you please make a plug-in that is not only suited for Ruby On Rails but also any type of ruby development?

A separate JRuby, Python, and PHP one would be cool also!

Many, many thanks!

#260448 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Management has discussed Ruby at one point, I don’t know the status of any work on that though. I think we would need more user demand for it. Thank you for the request, I will let them know that there is interest.

#260450 Reply

Unnsse Khan

Its not a matter of user demand… Its a matter of making your plug-in something that fills in all the gaps in software development. That kind of product would increase demand.

Eclipse’s C++ support sucks… You have have someone improve on that.

Check out the screen cast for RadRails (Eclipse plug-in for Ruby on Rails):

http://www.radrails.org/screencasts

Kindest,

#260807 Reply

David Orriss Jr
    Participant

With RadRails available why should MyEclipse bother with Ruby support? Seriously… it’s a waste of resources on MyEclipse’s part.

#260811 Reply

Unnsse Khan

Because a de facto plug-in that could do everything (from J2EE, CSS, Javascript, DTD, XML, Ruby, Python, C++, C#, Perl, etc.) would make MyEclipse the “sure thing” to get over other plug-ins…

Most plug-in developers lack the resources that a professional company such as MyEclipse / Genuitec has.

Remember that Eclipse is not only for Java development its also for kernel which supports plug-ins. It would be cool if it had all of these features. That way, no one would ever need to download some 3rd party plug-in if they could get everything in MyEclipse.

Kindest regards,

#260822 Reply

David Orriss Jr
    Participant

Right, Eclipse is not only for Java development but *MyEclipse* IS only for J2EE development. What you want a swiss army knife with a tachyon pulse emitter. Most of us here want a J2EE tool that does J2EE and does it well. I’m fine with RadRails existing in a separate space (i.e. a separate version of Eclipse) from MyEclipse. Trying to smash all off these different plugs together is enough of a challenge.

Don’t think so? Take the radrails plugins and add them to MyEclipse. You’ll see what I mean. Even if they all get along together (and they might) you’ll end up with a monstrosity for an IDE. The ME group wouldn’t be able to “make that better”. If anything they’ll expend resources on an idea that would best be served in other areas that would make MyEclipse a better J2EE tool.

The point of the Eclipse platform is to act as a baseline for *other* IDEs to build from. Not to turn it into a unwieldly mess of “all things to all people”.

#260855 Reply

Riyad Kalla

DaveO,
    I really couldn’t have said it any better. This is all accurate, we work had to provide a cohesive experience for all our users, sometimes requests may just fall outside of the ring of what we have the resources to address for these reasons you stated.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Ruby, jRuby, Python, and PHP support

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in