facebook

Run/Debug Preferences Page Corrupted (3.8B1) [Closed]

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Bugs
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

ntkach

I’ve noticed that when I do a clean install of Eclipse 3.0RC1 and MyEclipse 3.2.8B1 I get some strange results showing up in the Run/Debug Preferences page.

If I go to the Window menu, select Preferences, then select Run/Debug the labels next to the strings show things like “!DebugPreferencePage.3!”, “!DebugPreferencePage.2!”, etc. I’m not seeing anything at all in the .log file when I see these labels. I can certainly put up some screen shots, but didn’t want to take up a lot of space.

It’s entirely possible that it’s just something on my machine (Linux + GTK2), but thought I’d see if anyone else is having this same issue. It’s definitely not a “show stopper”, but certainly would be awkward if I needed to use any of the detailed Run/Debug settings.

Great work! I can hardly wait for the internal preview/browser to be complete! 😮

#207825 Reply

Riyad Kalla

If its not under the MyEclipse preferences, then this sounds like a Eclipse issue, namely incorrect property keys. You can try and close eclipse, temporarily move the <Eclipse dir>\links file for MyEclipse someplace else (like your desktop) and start Eclipse again and check the menu, if its still corrupt then this is an Eclipse issue, if its fixed then its our fault. After your are done, close Eclipse and move the link file back and start Eclipse again.

Removing this link file effectively uninstalls MyEclipse from Eclipse. Putting it back reinstalls it 😉

#207827 Reply

ntkach

I just tried this and yes, seems to be a MyEclipse issue. When I move the links folder out of (in my case /usr/local/eclipse) into some place like /tmp, then the run/debug preferences go back to normal. Then, as soon as I put the links folder back again, the preferences go back to the “strange format”. If I can provide more details or try out some fixes or something, just let me know.

I’ll try it out on a different machine if I get a chance. My machine’s usually more “bleeding edge” than most 😉

thanks,
    Nick T

#207828 Reply

ntkach

Okay, I just tried it out on a more stable, “production” machine and yes, I see the same problem there. I wonder, is there some way it could be the gtk2 version of Eclipse that’s the problem? I can’t imagine how, but from what I’ve seen in some of the integration builds it seems like that version is more “problematic”.

For what it’s worth, seems to do the same thing installing against 3.0m9 (not that that says anything since we all know that one had a “few” issues 😉

#207829 Reply

ntkach

Okay, after a little more experimenting, looks like the same thing also happens with the motif version, so I guess that’s not the answer.

#207831 Reply

Riyad Kalla

ntkach,
    Very strange indeed! Thank you for so much testing and trouble shooting, I will send this off to the devs.

#207833 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

I verified that it’s a bug and it will be addressed in Beta 2. Thanks for reporting it.

#207855 Reply

ntkach

No problem, keep up the great work! 🙂

#207962 Reply

binyan

In case it has not been determined, this bug exists on windows also.

#207964 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

We know. It will be fixed on all platforms in Beta 2.

#208903 Reply

Chris

Is there any fix that can be tossed in while we’re waiting for B2? Is it something simple enough for that?

#208957 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

We’re sorry, but unfortunately it isn’t quite that simple. Finding bugs like this is actually one of the reasons we release the betas. This way, these nuisance bugs get fixed for the next beta or GA release. 🙂

#209929 Reply

I am experiencing similar problems with Beta 2. This time my preference pages for the debug menu looks like this:

%DebugPreferencePage.name
    – %ConsolePreferencePage.name
    – %LaunchingPreferencePage.name
    – %StringVariablePreferencePage.name
    – % ViewManagementPreferencePage.name
    – External Tools

So if you notice all labels under Debug/Run are messed up, except the “External Tool”.

I see the same thing under MyEclipse :
    MyEclipse
    – %org.jboss.ide.eclipse.xdoclet.core.ui.MainPreferencePage
    – %preferencePage

My context menu in the Page Explorer is also messed up. If I click on any object in the Package manager, I get :
    %RunContextMenu.label
    %DebugContextMenu.label

All these happened when I upgraded from Beta 1 to Beta 2. I tried to compare the corresponding plugin.xml and plugin.properties files but they look okay.

I am running:

Windows 2000 + SP4
    JDK 1.4.2
    Eclipse 3.0
    MyEclipse 3.7.200 (beta 2)

What can I do to fix the problem ? Should I uninstall MyEclipse and then install it again. Will this fix the problem ?

– Stefan

#209944 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Stefan,
    Did you uninstall beta 1 before installing Beta 2? Did you try and shut down eclipse, erase the <Eclipse dir>\configuration directory, and then start it again?

#209954 Reply

I fix the problem by erasing <eclipsedir>\configuration directory and restarting Eclipse.

FYI: No, I did not uninstall Beta 1. I have just updated MyEclipse through the software update from the Help Menu.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
Reply To: Run/Debug Preferences Page Corrupted (3.8B1) [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in