facebook

Running low on memory with 8 gb ram

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Andres

Hi,
    I have a myeclipse running on Ubuntu 11.10 64 bits.
    once I start running my project, it get an alert of low memory.
    Please advice

the alert I get is;
    MyEclipse has detected that less than 5% of the 1,365MB of PS Old Gen (Heap memory) space remains.

It is strongly recommended that you exit and restart MyEclipse with new virtual machine
    memory paramters to increase this memory. Failure to do so can result in data loss.

Recommended memory arguments:

-vmargs
    -Xmx512m
    -XX:MaxPermSize=256m
    -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=64m

I have this on myeclipse.ini

-install
    /home/arangel/Genuitec/MyEclipse 8.5
    -vm
    #/home/arangel/Genuitec/Common/binary/com.sun.java.jdk.linux.x86_64_1.6.0.013/bin/java
    /usr/bin/java
    –launcher.library
    ../Common/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_64_1.0.200.v20090519
    -startup
    ../Common/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.201.R35x_v20090715.jar
    -configuration
    /home/arangel/Genuitec/MyEclipse 8.5/configuration
    -vmargs
    -Xmx2G
    -Xms256m
    -XX:+UseParallelGC
    -XX:PermSize=512M
    -XX:MaxPermSize=1024m

#XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=64m

#322500 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

anrange,

Sorry you have having these memory problems.

Does the warning occur immediately you try to run a project? What are the steps leading up the problem and are there associated errors in the .log file (in the .metadata folder of your workspace)? How many files and perspectives are open at the point of the warning? The warning won’t necessarily result in problems but it may be advisable to increase the MaxPermSize in response.

I see that you’ve been running 8.5/8.6 for quite a while. When did you start noticing this memory problem and what changed around the time you started having the problem? For example, I notice you specify the garbage collection strategy; did you do this recently? Presumably, you didn’t have the memory problem previously?

You can ignore the recommended memory settings; they are hard coded and intended for 32-bit systems. Your memory settings should be adequate.

Note that you can visually monitor the memory being used by selecting MyEclipse->Utilities->Show Heap Status, on the menu bar.

#322507 Reply

Andres

Thanks for your reply.
    I was able to nailed it down to my main web app application.
    If I create a new workspace, and move this app, then it seems that it needs 4G of ram to load everything .

How can I customize this ide so that it only loads what I needs?

4GB of ram just to load this app is too much.
    I remove the GC strategy and still the same issue.

I’ve been having this issue for a while. I just didn’t have time to post here (in the middle of projects).

If I do a clean installation of myeclipse 10, will this be solved?

#322510 Reply

Andres

I installed My eclipse 10 and it handles way better the memory.
    it now only uses 2GB instead of 4
    what an improvement!!!

#322545 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

anrange,

I’m glad MyEclipse 10 is working better but I’m a bit confused by the cause of the high memory usage. Are you saying that you are developing a web application on MyEclipse and when you run or edit the application in MyEclipse, it now takes 2GB to do that? Running the application as a server application, in the inbuilt Tomcat or an external application server, should run it in a separate process and not use much MyEclipse memory. If you are simply editing the application, you would need to open a lot of editors, perspectives and views to use up 2GB memory.

So far as only loading the features of MyEclipse that you need, you can actually remove the unneeded features from the Software and Workspace Center (also known as the Configuration Center). Click on Help->MyEclipse Configuration Center then go to the Dashboard tab. Deselect the MyEclipse features that you don’t need, in the Product Components panel. Then wait for the Pending Changes panel to refresh. Eventually, it will show the changes to be made and display an Apply button. Click that button and follow the wizard to complete the removal of those features. Removed features can be re-added at any time.

If you’re running the 64-bit install of MyEclipse, memory usage is significantly increased over the 32-bit version, so you might want to consider installing another copy of MyEclipse 10, selecting the 32-bit option, this time. You can then compare the two versions. (Note that there have been reports of the splash screen not appearing properly with the 32-bit version on some Linux distributions but this doesn’t affect the running of MyEclipse).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Running low on memory with 8 gb ram

This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in