facebook

Selecting EAR in Package Explorer freezes Eclipse

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Erik Reuter

I’ve encountered a problem, which i haven’t been able to solve as of yet… When I select an EAR in the Package Explorer, eclipse locks solid and I have to kill off the entire application. I noticed yesterday that there was a slight hang (app. 10 secs) when I selected an EAR project, but now it just freezes for good.

I tried copying my workspace to a vanilla Eclipse installation (without MyEclipse installed) and I was able to select, expand and browse all the projects.

This makes me believe that it’s related to MyEclipse.

I have no idea if it’s the size of my workspace or not, but I have 48 projects of which 10 of these are EAR projects (each having between 1 and 4 war/ejb modules associated with it) that are all deployed through the JBoss 3 connector.

What strikes me here is that it’s when i “select” (click on the EAR and it gets highlighted) and not “expand” the project – which works just fine, even for the EARs (clicking the little expand icon to the left of the project). Does something in particular happen to an EAR when I just select it? Is something active going on behind the scenes?

Help!!

Regards
    Erik

My specs are:

JDK: Sun J2SDK build 1.4.2_02-b03
    JBoss: CVSTag=JBoss_3_2_3 date=200311301445
    Eclipse: M6, buildid 200312182000
    MyEclipse: buildid 200401011200-3.7RC2

#204204 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Erik,

That’s very peculiar to say the least. Is it any EAR project, or just a particular one? Does your machine appear busy? There are things that happen in Eclipse when something is selected. Most notably, context menus are rebuilt, but that’s true for any project type. In addition, the EAR’s deployment descriptor is loaded which requires a SAX parse. I did notice a several second delay when the first EAR is selected to load everything up, but everything returns to normal after that and the next EAR selection is quite fast. For your projects, it make also be parsing the descriptors of the contained web and ejb projects. How long are you giving it? Are you connected to the internet directly when this happens? Do you have XML validation turned on?

#204207 Reply

Erik Reuter

Ahh…. Just found out that I can’t connect to java.sun.com for some odd reason (they’re down or my ISP has cut a wire on their backbone).

Does it time out at some point, trying to connect to the site or does it just wait forever? I’ve given it 5-10 minutes, but it just hangs.

It would seem a good idea to have the J2EE 1.3 dtd’s inside MyEclipse somewhere so they’re cached permanently. Is there somewhere I can stick the dtd’s in 3.7RC2 to speed up things?

This explains the delay in opening the EARs yesterday as well (first time anyway), if it was going to java.sun.com each time it required validation to run.

#204209 Reply

kettreyr

Ditto.

I am experiencing the same problem this evening. That is, MyEclipse starting freezing on me this evening. 😕 By process of project elimination, I determined it was an ear causing my pain.

I then jumped to the forums and found this post….Checked to see if I could access java.sun.com…bingo! I can’t get there from home or my work computer this evening (vpn’d into work to see if it was just my ISP, appears to be bigger issue than just my network).

Anyway, this stinks! I am dead in the water right now! 😡 The post above from Scott says something about turning XML validation off…is that an option somwhere? I can’t seem to find it.

Stuck until access is restored to java.sun.com…Ryan

#204212 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Ditto here (can’t connect to it). To turn off XML validation, go to Window>Preferences>MyEclipse>Editors>XML Editor>Configuration
    Change “Validate” to “Nothing”.

As far as shipping the J2EE DTDs, I believe we do ship quite a few DTDs right now:
    <my eclipse install dir>\eclipse\plugins\com.genuitec.eclipse.j2eedt.core_2.6.200\dtd

#204248 Reply

Erik Reuter

I searched for the J2EE core dtd’s and found sets both located under the xmen xml and the j2ee dt core plugin – so there’s alot of them there.

But, for some reason it needs to connect to java.sun.com anyway?

If they are cached, then the caching mechanism is somehow flawed… Maybe you could find some time to look into this?

Anyway, my super-turbo-geeky workaround for yesterdays problem was to add java.sun.com to my hosts file and point it to a webserver I’ve got running here and serve the dtd from off of there.

Regards
    Erik

#204249 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Erik, cool solution. I’ve fired off the problem report to see if we fixed that in the new GA build.

#204250 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Erik,

That’s a very innovative solution, and I apologize for the problem. Yes, all of this has been corrected for 2.7 GA. The cache was problematic and there was an issue on long timouts that will now be corrected. With the new release you should be able to work online or offline with no ill effects.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Selecting EAR in Package Explorer freezes Eclipse

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in