facebook

set the working directory for Tomcat

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Application Servers and Deployment
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

How can I set the working directory for Tomcat 4 when it is started from MyEclipse 3.8.4 on Eclipse 3.0.2.

By working directory I mean the directory that Tomcat/JVM are started from. This is the equivalent to setting the Run -> Java Application -> Arguments -> working directory.

#228122 Reply

Riyad Kalla

This is currently not supported, if you are relying on the working directory to be set for some of your code to run correctly you might consider refactoring. (just because it makes deployment such a pain).

#228174 Reply

It’s for the log file location. We also use JNI, so the easiest way to include the dll’s in the path is to put them in the working directory. I can modify my log4j.xml and add the dll’s to the library path, but it really is less of a pain to set the working directory.

#228180 Reply

Riyad Kalla

You can include the DLLs by way of the Append to Library Path on the Tomcat 5 connector settings under the Paths preferences.

#228817 Reply

This is currently not supported, if you are relying on the working directory to be set for some of your code to run correctly you might consider refactoring.

What do I need to do to convince MyEclipse that this is a useful requirement? Not supporting the working directory has added 2 days to our migration project and will make it more difficult to support multiple workspaces with our version management.

#228818 Reply

Riyad Kalla

What do I need to do to convince MyEclipse that this is a useful requirement?

Two ways: User demand or request from a company that has purchased a large number of subscriptions or plans to purchase a large number of subscriptions.

It’s not that we don’t think all of these requests are important, and I don’t want to sound short in the forums like we are ignoring it, but we have over 110k registered users on this site and as developers almost all of them have features that are specifically important to them. We have to constantly weigh the pros/cons of doing certain features and then measure that against the user demand. It is hard striking that balance.

#228819 Reply

Is 20 a large number of license?

#228820 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Jason,
    I’m curious if the following would suit your purposes, and if not, why?

1) Setup project in MyEclipse
    2) Setup deployment out to app server
    3) Launch server externally (using scripts that you and your team use)
    4) Connect to the runn app server to facilitate remote debugging as outlined here: http://myeclipseide.com/enterpriseworkbench/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.genuitec.myeclipse.doc/html/quickstarts/remotedebugging/index.html

The only thing I see you missing out on is using our app launcher from the tool bar.

#228866 Reply

Running Tomcat externally will meet the working directory requirements, but we will continue with our current configuration.

thank you,
    Jason
    Business Logic Corporation

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: set the working directory for Tomcat

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in