facebook

Setting the WebSphere home directory

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. WebSphere Development
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

djm007

I’ve tried to set the WebSphere home directory to both a network share “\some_net_share\f$\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer” and a mapped drive “Q:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer” and both considered “Invalid WebSphere home directory”s. Do I have to install WebSphere locally for this to work?

Thanks,
    David

#281735 Reply

Greg

Hey David,

Currently the milestone 1 version of Blue edition only supports working with local installations of WebSphere.

Are you wanting to run websphere locally ? (runs on a VM process on your local OS) Or does the websphere execute on the remote server?

#281736 Reply

djm007

It’s on a remote server. I’d rather not try to run it on my laptop, since I only have 2GB RAM and WebSphere needs 1GB, not to mention the overhead of a VM..

#281737 Reply

Greg

Right now to support all of our features (hot-sync deployment, hot-swap debugging) we have to use a local installation of websphere. You can create a development profile that reduces the amount of memory that websphere requires to run and then switch the MyEclipse websphere connector to use that newly created profile to launch the server. We have run many tests locally of websphere running in “dev” mode and it is very usable.

Thanks for your feedback. Hope this helps.

#281739 Reply

djm007

It does help. Can you point me to any reference on how to create a low-memory profile?

Thanks,

David

#281744 Reply

Greg

Hey David,

What version of WAS are you using? In general in their Profile Management wizard, when you launch it (there is a sub-directory of your was install that has a ProfileManagement Tool) and you create a new profile there is a checkbox option for creating the profile with the “development template”. This is useful for developer machines that are wanting to use WAS in non-production mode.

For WAS 6.0 the profile tool is under <was_home>/bin/ProfileCreator
    For WAS 6.1 the profile tool is under <was_home>/bin/ProfileManagement

#281814 Reply

djm007

Thanks, that works for me.

#281827 Reply

Kyle Goodwin

At S1 we also like to do development from laptops connected to remote WebSphere instances, so we’d like to put in another vote for this as a future feature. This is essentially the one big thing RAD offers over Blue right now in my opinion that might influence our purchase decision.

#281828 Reply

Greg

Thanks for the feedback on this guys. I’ve sent this request over to the Blue development team they responded saying that remote server support is a high priority feature that they are considering for an upcoming release. The exact time frame is still TBD as we consolidate all of the customer feedback we are receiving from the M1 release.

With regards to features, what other workpatterns and features do you consider should be high priority that 6.1 Blue M1 doesn’t yet support? We are interested in feedback from the MyEclipse/Websphere community on this.

#281831 Reply

Kyle Goodwin

On my other thread here I mentioned a couple RAD-specific builders that I haven’t been able to get working as of yet on an imported RAD 6 project. If there aren’t already substitutes for those I’d consider that a high priority concern, but it may be that I just haven’t figured out how to do it yet. Also on our feature list would be integration with the RDT plugins for good Ruby and JRuby support, specifically allowing me to make a project have the JRuby and Java natures (and associated builders) simultaneously without having to edit the .project file like I have to now with the RDT plugins installed along with MyEclipse. I have also run into a couple issues in regards to Spring support where a file got inadvertantly added to the list of spring bean config files and even after removing it, refreshing, rebuilding, cleaning, restarting the ide, etc. it was still raising an error that it did not contain any spring bean configuration. I think this is an issue with the Spring IDE for normal eclipse as well. I was able to resolve it by renaming the file and then renaming it back which cleared the error. Also when I attempt to view the MyEclipse Spring page of the properties for this same Spring project the IDE throws the following exception:

Unable to create the selected property page.
    org.springframework.ide.eclipse.beans.ui.properties.ConfigurationPropertyPage

Thanks for the attentive support!

#294977 Reply

Robert Lewis

Is there an ETA yet on when MyEclipse Blue will support a remote WAS instance? Also, what version of WAS does MyEclipse Blue support? I can’t seem to find that on the site.

#295161 Reply

mfkilgore

It would be very helpful to have visibility into the features/timing planned for the next release. Blue is close to providing the features required to replace RAD but not quite there yet. In addition to this discussion (remote debugging is critical) I would suggest looking at RAD 7 supported features including support for newer versions of WebSphere Portal where support for JSR 286 portlets is key.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Setting the WebSphere home directory

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in