facebook

Setting up a web application using existing source

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Paul Baker

My company uses Clear Case (CC) for version control and the directory structure in CC does not conform to the standard web project structure. Example, there is no WEB-INF folder. Basically the CC view just cantains the package structure for both the EJB/classes and for the web JSPs and JSPFs. Also, the packages only represent part of the entire enterprise application.

com.xxx.yyy.javapkg1
    com.xxx.yyy.javapkg2
    com.xxx.yyy.web.jsppgk1
    com.xxx.yyy.web.jsppgk2

the “web” packages contain the jsp and jspfs.

For the standard Java project this does not pose a problem because the java project can be built with option “Create project from existing souce” selected. But this option is not available for the web project. The enterprize .jar file is included in the buildpath that contains the other “missing” bits.

Is there a way that a web project can be built with the source residing in a different location? Will the .war file need to be in the class path.. Can the server context root directory be used??? Many questions. I hope that there is someone out there that has had a similar problem.

FYI, developers use BEA WebLogic 8.1 from within Eclipse 3.1.

Thanks in advance!

#234215 Reply

Riyad Kalla

If com is the root of your source tree, then no this won’t work. The reason is that the default output dir (WebRoot/WEB-INF/classes), according to your sctructure would like be:
    /com/xxx/yyy/web/WEB-INF/classes

which would be inside your source folder, as well as your WebRoot folder (/com/xxx/yyy/web) is in your source folder. In MyEclipse 5 we are going to make major headway with allowing more flexible project configuration, however I don’t know that having this embedded layout would even work.

Is reorganizing your project totally out of the question? Has your team been using an IDE that *does* support your source layout?

#234232 Reply

Paul Baker

Thanks for the reply.

The current archaic process to write and debug JSPs, for our project, is to update the JSP directly in the workstation server web directory. I did say archaic? Once the JSP is written or fixed then it is updated in source control. There are ANT utilities to make the WAR and EAR files for deployment to production servers. No IDE for web development. Sad but true. To make things worse our JSPs contain thousands of line of java code.

Oh well..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Setting up a web application using existing source

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in