facebook

simplify deployment

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Feature Requests
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

vrvolle

Currently when i want to redploy a web application I need 5 mouseclicks.

Why not do it the same as for running/debugging: clicking on the
    “deployment” button just redeploys the previously executed deployment.
    If I want another deployment, just offer a list of deployments by a drop down box and the last entry in the list displays the full deployment configuration dialog.

#197763 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Why not do it the same as for running/debugging: clicking on the
    “deployment” button just redeploys the previously executed deployment.

Maybe I’m missing something about what you’re asking, but you shouldn’t need to redeploy very often at all. Once an application is deployed, it’s content will by sync’d to the appropriate server directories from that point forward. There should be very limited need to redeploy it. Maybe I’m missing a particular usage where redeployment is needed more often?

We do have an open enhancement request to add a history to the server control toolbar icon to facilitate restarting the last started server, is that what you had in mind?

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#197774 Reply

vrvolle

Since I am using struts and the struts-config.xml seems not to be re-read by Struts/Tomcat every time it is saved in MyEclipse, I have to redeploy/restart quite often.

So yes, you have stated my request correct (I am no native speaker).

#197775 Reply

Wayne Kidd

Scott,
    This is precisely why my enhancement discussion about redeploy vs. restart has a nomencature aspect to it. There is generally confusion in the industry about deployment and app server restart. Many people think they are the same thing. For example, only re-deploy completely removes obsolete objects from the target environment. Old pages still hang around compiled after they are deleted or re-named. Re-deploy gets rid of them. Restart, no matter what you have done to the war or exploded war has no impact on that.

#197777 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Vrvolle,

Since I am using struts and the struts-config.xml seems not to be re-read by Struts/Tomcat every time it is saved in MyEclipse, I have to redeploy/restart quite often.

OK, I see what you’re saying. Actually, you don’t have to do a full redeploy, you simply need to ‘touch’ your web.xml file within Eclipse whenever you’d like Tomcat to reload your application, like after you’ve modified struts-config.xml.

This is precisely why my enhancement discussion about redeploy vs. restart has a nomencature aspect to it.

Correct, and to make that easier in the future, we’ve already got an enhancement request to automatically do that on a server specific basis that was suggested by Wayne.

Good enhancement suggestions, if for no other reason than I’m tired of explaining the difference between deploying an application and loading it. 😉 Seriously, it will make it easier on everyone to use, and that’s our primary goal here.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

So yes, you have stated my request correct (I am no native speaker).

#222739 Reply

theshawn

I would really like this feature…basically to have the application reload on change to struts-config, or maybe to a list of files or a particular directory.

#222848 Reply

rjst

Hi,

I agree with this one. There are a couple of files that, when changed, should cause the application to reload. In our case it’s hibernate config file. Another example is when a library is added that would cause another jar to be deployed, it could do so automatically.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: simplify deployment

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in