facebook

Some serious problem

1. CodeMix & Angular IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Getting Help
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

dvcprogramming
    Participant

So, I’ve now tried this 3x … results are quite consistent:
    Install STS 4-4.4.2, install codemix with all options, open tuorial 101, get to display “Hello World”: displays on browser and SpringToolSuite4.exe window disapears, file is deleted from hard drive and security permissions are set such that I cannot restore without going to properties->security->etc, changing permissions and then rebooting. Windows7.

There is a malicious programmer somewhere in the chain of operations that happen at the point or before of trying to display the “Hello World” screen for CodeMix React Tutorial 101.

What a shame! Was really hoping I did not have to switch to Visual Code Studio for React programming 🙁 🙁 🙁 I like Eclipse!

Time to wipe all all .codemix/etc folders (yet again), restore my STS install, and give up on CodeMix plug-in, I’m afraid 🙁

Let me know when/if you get it figured out. Maybe I’ll try again (but don’t really have much time here! Working on my hopefully next big dot-com/app thing!)

#633389 Reply

dvcprogramming
    Participant

Just to make sure it’s clear: this happens using the CodeMix REACT tutorial 101 when executing the step: Live Preview. Oh, and if I just restore the EXE file (then change permissions and reboot) and re-start STS, then nothing happens at all (some spinning cursor over the ‘eye’ but nothing logged to the terminal, etc. … Only after deleting the .codemix/etc folders and then restarting do things just repeat as above yet again.

I could also note the warnings from node / npm about outdated versions of files, but what’s the point?

I could also note the waste of time I spent on the 1st tutorial from you guys dated 4/1/2018 “How to start a new React Project in Eclipse” that I completely wasted my time on … since that didn’t work either, but at least it didn’t DELETE CRITICAL FILES FROM MY COMPUTER!!!!

What a disappointment!

#633391 Reply

dvcprogramming
    Participant

hmm, looks like this (above) got posted to the Angular section of the forum. Not right! Using CodeMix React, not Angular! Another bug in your software I see.

#633402 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Extremely sorry to hear about your experience with CodeMix – we love Eclipse too, have been building Eclipse solutions for decades, and would love for you to be able to continue using Eclipse as you move into the modern-web space.

We have never come across a bug like what you describe, CodeMix will not self-destruct by deleting files, especially the Eclipse installation. If you meant the SpringToolsSuite4.exe file is deleted, CodeMix doesn’t even have the permissions/access to do this as the deletion would typically be blocked due to file locking on Windows when Eclipse is running. We also tried using CodeMix with STS 4.4.2, the same version you’re using, just to be sure.

The only thing I can think of is that executables that are part of CodeMix, like the CodeMix Engine.exe file and the Chrome browser (which would spin up if you’re using Live Preview), are being incorrectly detected as threats / malicious and an anti-virus system on your computer is taking over and deleting or quarantining the files. Is it possible that this is what you are experiencing – if you have an A/V system, can you check it?

Beyond this, can you send me the location at which you’ve installed STS as well as the workspace path in which you are creating your projects? Anything else that is different about your Windows or the Eclipse installation?

Finally, we don’t have a separate sub-forum for react, this is the forum for CodeMix and Angular IDE (the product Angular IDE, not the framework specifically), so posting here is fine.

Awaiting your response, and hope to be able to keep you with Eclipse.

#633466 Reply

dvcprogramming
    Participant

Sorry, I was getting very frustrated yesterday.

Turns out you’re correct … AVG was running in quiet mode (don’t recall setting that – I changed it and ..) it was deleting the SpringToolsSuite4.exe (and, it seems the CodeMix Engine.exe as well.) Apparently the RansomWare detection flagged attempted file deletes in my My Documents\workspace-spring-tool-suite-4-4.4.2.RELEASE\ and deleted the associated exe file(s). Strange that it had no such problems with sts 3.9.7!

Also .swt\lib\win32\x86_64\chromium-3071\chromium_subp-0901.exe (& chromium_swt-0901.dll it seems) were being quarantined and flagged as IDP.Generic upon hitting live view (which is the point at which STS suddenly shut down.)

Anyway, now I’m able to follow the tutorial beyond “Live View”.

Couple of other issues:
    –> Why are old versions of nodejs & npm installed and what’s with the Permission denied? …
    mkdir: cannot change permissions of ‘/dev/shm’: Permission denied
    mkdir: cannot change permissions of ‘/dev/mqueue’: Permission denied
    Node.js version: v10.10.0
    NPM version: 6.4.1

~/sts-workspace/tutorial-react101
    $ npm install
    npm WARN deprecated left-pad@1.3.0: use String.prototype.padStart()
    npm WARN deprecated core-js@2.6.10: core-js@<3.0 is no longer maintained and not recommended for usage due to the number of iss
    ues. Please, upgrade your dependencies to the actual version of core-js@3.

… According to the tutorial (https://www.genuitec.com/elearning/react-tutorial-101/) Brian says: “Nodejs will be installed IF NOT ALREADY ON YOUR MACHINE” … I DO already have a more recent version installed (v12.13.1)

How do I get CodeMix to use it? Not finding any setting in Windows->Preferences.

Also, Brian really needs to move a little bit slower in his videos!

thanks,
    dave

#633467 Reply

dvcprogramming
    Participant

Oh, hey, sorry … so busy looking thru folders & files, didn’t even notice it was you that responded Brian! 🙂 Sorry about that! I do like the video, btw, but I have to pause every 2 seconds to follow a long and you move so quick it’s very hard to catch what you are typing at times.
    But thanks!
    dave

#633610 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Dave,

No harm, no foul – I’d be the same way if my files were getting mysteriously deleted! Thank you for the details on the files being quarantined.

I forgot that was one of my videos too – I was a bit fast because we were using the tutorial infrastructure to insert a lot of code as opposed to typing it out, but if you found it too fast, that’s something I’ll keep in mind for the next one. I’m glad you like it otherwise 🙂

On to your issues:

1) Old Node / NPM / Dependencies
    We stick to fixed versions of Node / NPM in our tutorial project because it’s more important to have a project that we know will work out of the box. Newer versions of Node and NPM may cause issues, and for a tutorial project, using the latest version isn’t important. The same goes for the messages you see about deprecated libraries – not important in tutorial context where you’re learning about React and CodeMix. Definitely something to consider for your actual project. If the tutorial gets to a stage where the techniques demonstrated are no longer valid or current, we will then update it.

2) mkdir: cannot change permissions of ‘/dev/shm’: Permission denied
    Welcome to the world of NPM! This is an odd NPM issue that sometimes shows up on some systems for a variety of reasons. If everything still works, I would ignore this on your dev machine. To fix it, you may need to make some OS configuration changes, or select a more recent version of NPM, which could also fix the problem (see below).

3) System versions of Node / NPM
    Please see Project Properties > CodeMix > Miscellaneous > CLI Tools.

If Node / NPM are selected on this page, the Terminal+ will use the versions you’ve selected, but we explicitly download these versions onto your machine – you’ll find them in the [user_home]/.codemix-store/ directory. When I said, “if not already on your system” – I meant if they were not already downloaded into this location, and I admit this isn’t clear. If you uncheck Node / NPM on this page, then your system versions should be used when you open a new Terminal+ session for the project.

Hope this helps!

#633791 Reply

dvcprogramming
    Participant

Hey Brian,

Many thanks again! Figured much of this out myself since last post. Yes I see now on the Terminal+ properties and the Project properties that I can modify nodejs & npm versions, so I tried that and it worked nicely 🙂 Also got rid of all the mkdir / other warnings so all is good.

Suggestion (wrong forum I know, but I’m here so …) perhaps you could add the defaults for new projects in Window/Preferences/CodeMix/Misc for nodejs / npm / etc .. it seems to be missing from there?

Also, noted that babel/typescript is not included in the pom, so went looking to see how to add, but it seems I have to manually insert the dependencies into the pom (?) (also noted the pom explicitly declares “not ie <= 11” … after trying to display in IE11 .. oh no!) 🙂

So, another suggestion … CodePen.io, scrimba.com, etc online tools make it easy to select many such libraries / versions from a pull-down. Sure would be nice if CodeMix provided such a feature for commonly used packages, perhaps via pull-down context menu for the pom and/or Facet? I know (read) it can be manually installed vi npm, but I really like how Eclipse makes many such similar operations easy.

Likewise for such options when creating a new React project (Nodejs, npm, extra libs like WebPack, Typescript, Babel, etc)

Anyway, enjoying the plug-in so far … now to start trying to create a *real* project 🙂

TIA,
    dave

#634321 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Dave,

Glad you are making some progress with the plugins.

1) Good suggestion about the defaults.
    2) You said “pom” – did you mean package.json? Normally Angular projects would include a TypeScript dependency at least.
    3) Once you have a package name specified in package.json, invoking content assist will autocomplete the latest version for you (fetching it from the module repository). Interesting suggestion about making common modules easy to select, we’ll take a look at those solutions and see whether we could include any of those features in CodeMix.

Appreciate the notes, thank you!

#634384 Reply

dvcprogramming
    Participant

1) Ah, yes.. package.json. Too many technologies 🙂

Couple of other things to note:

Refactoring … first tried right click->Refactorings to extract a function to a file, but nothing available. Thought “hey, I thought this tool had refactoring!”, then discovered you’re doing it the vs code way? (Ctrl-P). And, I guess vs code is very light on refactorings (Only Rename & Extract Method/Variable?) And, not quite getting this .. only refactoring I’ve been able to make work so far is rename (Alt-Shift-R). Selecting “Refactorings” from the Ctrl-P command seems to do nothing at all.

This is an area I think you could really add value. One of the reasons I love eclipse is the rich set of refactorings available.

Hmm, just noticed the the Source and Refactor top-level menus are missing!! Oh no!! please don’t do that kind of thing, it’s a UI anti-pattern! Disable unavailable commands instead, please.

Another thing: Live view opens my browser AND a small preview browser inside Eclipse. This preview doesn’t seem to be able to be resized or minimized. Would be nice! Don’t really see a need for it (so far.)

Thanks!
    dave

#634385 Reply

dvcprogramming
    Participant

Oh, btw, I’m doing React, not Angular 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Some serious problem

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in