I posted a bug yesterday regarding StackOverflow in JSP validation. I searched the forums before posting so as not to duplicate an existing issue. I realized today that there was a duplicate issue, as the poster of the original thread was participating in my thread.
A little embarassed, I went back and searched again and can report to you these results:
Searching from the forums (either by the top-level search or the one at the bottom of a forum listing) doesn’t seem to find words where the search topic is a substring.
For example: From the forum search tool enter StackOverflow and you will see two results. My posting and one about EJB’s from last year.
Perform the same search from the Advanced Search feature in the main menu and you will see what I consider to be the expected results. (Notice, in particular, the subject line that has StackOverflowError in it.)
Just a little glitch to be sure, but if the Forum Search were configured like the Advanced Search the forums might be a little more effective. (IMHO, anyway….)
I think we’ve all gotten conditioned to the squirrelyness of it and never sat down to the compare the two, thank you for looking into this in the detail you did. I’ll pass this to our system admin and see if he can fancy something up.