facebook

Support for utility jars and external EJBs [Enhancement]

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Feature Requests
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Erik Reuter

If I develop a utility jar in a separate Java Project, I should be able to include this in the EAR in jar form (then use the Manifest Class-Path to reference this from both EJBs and WARs). This should be done dynamically, so that when I change the source code of the utility jar, the change is reflected in the packaged version in the EAR.

This would also enable me to reference EJBs that are part of other EARs, so that these EJBs will become “EJBs client jars” situated in the EAR where these are used.

There is a zip plugin, that nearly does the job already out there for Eclipse, but I think this functionality should be an integral part of the MyEclipse platform.

#198153 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

Good feedback. We are currently designing how dependent projects will be integrated into MyEclipse and your comments are spot on.

Michael
    MyEclipse Support

#198573 Reply

I strongly agree that these are essential features for developing all but the most trivial J2EE applications. A good starting place in figuring out how such functionality might look would be to examine how WSAD 5.0 deals with EAR projects. You can just add a plain Java project to the EAR and it will add it as a JAR and allow you to specify which EJB/WAR modules will need it on the Manifest classpath.

Actually, when you get more XDoclet wisards, etc. the external EJB’s might be nicely handled by not only managing the client JARs but also the ejb-link’s as well.

cheers,
    –Bill

#199708 Reply

When this functionality will be supported?

#199923 Reply

Don Laidlaw

If there was voting I would put this at the top of my priority list. I need this functionality. Otherwise I am doing manual deployments, or not using the MyEclipse tools. Instead I use my own ant scripts to handle this.

#202093 Reply

I discovered MyEclipse today and I’m very impressed with your product. The only missing feature for me is this “external jars” functionality. Are you going to release it soon ?

#202097 Reply

Riyad Kalla

I will check with Scott about this feature’s inclusion as it seems quite a few people need it.

#202105 Reply

cmcbrien

Please include me on the “Must have this feature” list.

#202112 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

It’s at the top of the enhancements list and will be added after immediately after 2.7/3.7 go final.

#202430 Reply

I’d like to add a vote for better EAR building features as well. There are at least two things that need to be supported:

o “Utility” type projects: this is the notion that started this thread.

o Third-party .jar files. Suppose, for example, that I’ve got an EJB project MyEJB that uses library something.jar. Right now I can drop something.jar into the EJB project, edit manifest.mf, and build an appropriate EAR. However, if the beans in MyEJB are themselves used in multiple applications, I’ve got to drop something.jar into each of the EAR builders. It’d be better if each of the EAR building projects could discover what third-party jars are needed in each of their included EJB .jar and .war files, and include them in the constructed .ear file. Perhaps a naming convention such as a “required” directory in a project? If the EAR builder always included the contents of the “required” directory in the .ear that it build (modifying the class path in the manifest appropriately), this would do the trick.

#206990 Reply

Brice Ruth

@rws@templarcorp.com wrote:

o Third-party .jar files. Suppose, for example, that I’ve got an EJB project MyEJB that uses library something.jar. Right now I can drop something.jar into the EJB project, edit manifest.mf, and build an appropriate EAR. However, if the beans in MyEJB are themselves used in multiple applications, I’ve got to drop something.jar into each of the EAR builders. It’d be better if each of the EAR building projects could discover what third-party jars are needed in each of their included EJB .jar and .war files, and include them in the constructed .ear file. Perhaps a naming convention such as a “required” directory in a project? If the EAR builder always included the contents of the “required” directory in the .ear that it build (modifying the class path in the manifest appropriately), this would do the trick.

Is this done all within MyEclipse, or when you indicate that you can build an appropriate EAR, is that done with Ant?! I’ve done some googling to figure out how to get a utility JAR into an EAR and I understand I need to edit MANIFEST.MF and place the JAR in the EJB module – I just don’t quite understand *where* I need to place the utility JAR so that MyEclipse packages it up properly when the EAR is deployed.

Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Also, I strongly vote for clear support for this feature in MyEclipse – the sooner the better. We rarely deploy even tiny J2EE applications without some utility JARs being used, so this is a very important feature for us.

TIA,
    Brice Ruth

#207004 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Guys as I understand it all of these changes (the support for ulitity projects and deployment of associated utility projects) will make it into 2.8. I *think* these changes will even be in Beta 1, but if not in 1 then certainly in 2.8 before GA is released.

#207014 Reply

Brice Ruth

@support-rkalla wrote:

Guys as I understand it all of these changes (the support for ulitity projects and deployment of associated utility projects) will make it into 2.8. I *think* these changes will even be in Beta 1, but if not in 1 then certainly in 2.8 before GA is released.

Any ETA?

#207018 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Beta 1 is targetted for next week or the week after. The ‘official’ time is next week, but I’m just giving the devs some leeway as you never know what you might find during testing.

#207019 Reply

Brice Ruth

@support-rkalla wrote:

Beta 1 is targetted for next week or the week after. The ‘official’ time is next week, but I’m just giving the devs some leeway as you never know what you might find during testing.

Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Reply To: Support for utility jars and external EJBs [Enhancement]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in