facebook

The Business of Mobile Development – Part 1

1. MobiOne Archive
  2.  > 
  3. Examples, HOW-TOs
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Brandon
    #347627 Reply

Unknown Author
    Participant

These are all good tips, but rather obvious. Like, “don’t burp in a business meeting.” Ideally, you _want_ your competition to do these things, so that the competition for you is less.

I’d like some original ideas for marketing general-purpose apps to the public, aside from the obvious advice, like “put it on Linkedin, Facebook and Twitter.”

-1tC

#347634 Reply

Brandon

Yes. This is why it is part 1, its for people just starting out, who have not approached their first client. I will be adding more soon that will hopefully help more advanced people also.

I have found that why its good to post your apps on facebook and social sites, unless you are buying ads they wont reach many people. Youtube video of your app in action, if you do the Title, description, etc, correctly can be more effective.

#347636 Reply

Unknown Author
    Participant

Linkedin groups have got me lots of sales, but there’s a saturation point.

#347654 Reply

paulD

I am not convinced selling apps through the app store is going to make enough for a viable business as a single or small development company. The time it takes to build the app you will struggle to generate enough sales to cover the development costs let alone make a good profit. I read somewhere that 70 percent of all paid apps never exceed more than 500 sales

Part of the problem is just the shear size of the app store and the amount of apps available. Unless you have a niche market or the next Angry birds your really going to struggle to earn more than pocket money without throwing a lot of money into ad campaigns

Client based apps are definitely a better way of making some money, although in many ways just as difficult to land. In my experience cold call emails just don’t work, they never get answered unless you can target a specific individual within the organisation. Linkedin is a good tool for this. Also exhibitions and trade shows are good to walk around with sample apps, you can then get business cards from potential contacts and then follow up with a targeted email to people who have seen your demo.

One of the Key things i try and get across is how the app will either save the company money or generate sales. Thats the only way they will consider spending money on getting a app developed.

#347677 Reply

Brandon

PaulD,
    Yes, selling apps on the apps store is difficult. You have to have the right app and market to the right people. I had a couple apps for sale at one time and pulled them to focus on client apps and custom services.

Its sounds like linked in if you get in with groups may be a good way to go. Trades shows and that also seems good, especially if you have a niche field, I can see people very well there.

I like to meet the people and show them a hands on sample, this has a great wow factor if they are not expecting it.

#347691 Reply

Unknown Author
    Participant

My first app has just hit 500 sales, exactly 2 years after hitting the App Store and Google Play. Making ~$350 over 2 years is definitely “hobby” territory, rather than “business” territory.

-1TC

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: The Business of Mobile Development – Part 1

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in