facebook

The node process has crashed

1. CodeMix & Angular IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Webclipse 1.x Help
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

James
    Participant

Hi,

Every now and then, while editing a TypeScript file, my Webclipse gets into a state where node crashes every time I try to save. Here’s an example of the problem I’m seeing:

Right now, the only way I can get out of this state is to restart Webclipse. Is there something else I can do to get node back into a good state? I’ve tried to run the command: Project > Clean, but that doesn’t help.

Basically, I’m looking for a way to refresh node and get it back into a good state without having to restart Webclipse. Is that possible?

Thanks!

#518383 Reply

support-swapna

James,

Sorry that you are seeing this issue. We released an update to 2017 CI, CI 4 couple of days ago. Please update to CI 4 if you haven’t yet updated and check if the issue persists.

1. Can you please clarify if the node process crashes while editing any typescript file in the workspace or only a particular typescript file?
    2. Do you see the issue in a new workspace as well?
    3. Please send us the .log file located at workspace dir/.metadata/.log for further investigation.

Apologies for inconvenience caused.

–Swapna
    MyEclipse Support

#518390 Reply

James
    Participant

Hi Swapna,

So I’ve done the software update, and my Webclipse plugins are at the latest versions, and I’m still seeing the problem.

This problem happens with all TypeScript files. However, it doesn’t start out this way at first. I can usually work for several minutes or longer before I get the dialog that says: “Problem Occurred … The node process has crashed”. But once I get this dialog box, it keeps popping up every time I hit save on any file.

I see this same behavior on my work computer, and on my home computer (both Windows 7), and on two completely different projects. So I guess you could say I’m using two different workspaces as well (home vs work).

I’ve attached the log file in case it sheds any more light.

Is there anything else you’d like me to try, perhaps some command I can execute in the terminal to clear some kind of cache and restart node to a fresh state?

Thanks,
    James

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #518505 Reply

support-piotr
    Participant

Hi James,

It seems that something is causing a hard crash in the node process which runs TypeScript services. Unfortunately, some manual steps are required to get stack trace of the crash from the node process. It would be awesome if you could do the following steps:

1. Create .options file in Eclipse installation dir with following contents:

com.genuitec.eclipse.typescript/debug=true
    com.genuitec.eclipse.typescript/bridge/debug=true

2. Edit eclipse.ini and add following flags -console -consoleLog -debug on separate lines before -vmargs
    3. Start Eclipse and ensure that you’re seeing something like this in the output of the process console, which pops up:

[EDITOR][ERR]: Debugger listening on port 5881
    [EDITOR][ERR]: Bridge type: editor
    [EDITOR][ERR]: Running with TS version:2.2.2
    [EDITOR][ERR]: Initializing endpoint language in version 2.2.2

4. Now use Webclipse as normal until you get to the point of error. The process console should contain some JavaScript stack trace before log entry “The node process has crashed”. Marked with red rectangle on the attached screenshot.

I am really sorry that you are experiencing the issue and that it’s so hard to debug it. It’s actually the first time someone reports constant crash of the TS Services process. I’ll need to work on improving error reporting system for such issues.

Best regards,
    Piotr Tomiak

Attachments:
    #518511 Reply

James
    Participant

Hi Piotr, thanks for looking into this for me.

I went through the steps you provided, and I’ve reproduced the problem. Attached is the output from the console.

Hopefully it provides more information, but let me know if there’s anything else I can do.

Thanks!
    James

Attachments:
    #518515 Reply

support-piotr
    Participant

Thank you James!

We have been able to reproduce exactly the same issue on one of our Windows machines. But only on one – seems to be somehow connected to OS and node.js version. I am working on a fix.

However, I have a workaround for you. Could you please go to Preferences > TypeScript and set the path to a 6.x node.js installation (best 6.7.x up). You’ll probably have some in ${home-dir}\.webclipse\nodejs already downloaded. Please let me know if it works for you with newer node.js to run TS services.

#518519 Reply

James
    Participant

Ok, I’ll give that a try.

I’ve also noticed an improvement when I disable TSLint validation, so I’m not sure if my tslint.json file has anything to do with the problem. I’ve disabled it by going to:
    Project > Properties, TypeScript, and unchecking: “Enable TSLint validation if tslint.json is present”

I’ve attached my tslint.json file, to see if it causes you any problems as well. But so far Webclipse has been working better with it disabled.

Thanks again for looking into this,
    James

Attachments:
    #518529 Reply

support-piotr
    Participant

James, this is very strange, that disabling TSLint helped. Your TSLint file is fine. I am wondering if enabling it again would bring back the error, or that something else has happened. On our side, the person, who was seeing the error, can no longer reproduce the error either.

Would you please enable TSLint and see if you can reproduce? And if yes, please change node.js version and let me know if you can reproduce after the change.

Best regards,
    Piotr

#518542 Reply

James
    Participant

OK, so I’ve re-enabled TSLint, and I haven’t changed anything else, and I haven’t been able to reproduce the problem yet. I’m wondering if just the act of disabling and re-enabling TSLint has cleared out some kind of cache or something, and now things are working fine. I’ll keep working, and post again if/when it comes back.

I’m currently working on my home computer. In about an hour I’ll be on my work computer, which is constantly having this problem. So I’ll try the same experiment, and see if the problem goes away there as well.

I haven’t made any changes to the node.js version yet. So I’ll wait to do that until I can reproduce the problem again, and post my results.

Thanks,
    James

#518572 Reply

James
    Participant

Similar results on my work computer. The only change I made was to disable and re-enable TSLint, and now I’m not seeing the problem. I’m guessing that doing that has caused some kind of cache to get flushed out or something.

I’ll keep my eye on it, and post if it comes back, or if I can see any kind of pattern emerging.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this for me,
    James

#518591 Reply

James
    Participant

Looks like the problem keeps coming back on my work computer, even with TSLint disabled. So I guess the problem is just really intermittent.

I’ve tried updating my TypeScript setting to set my node path to: C:\Program Files\nodejs\node.exe, which points to Node version: v7.7.4, and I still see the same results.

So I’ll keep playing with it, to see if I can find any new information. If there are any other debug settings you’d like me to set, just let me know.

Thanks,
    James

#518596 Reply

support-piotr
    Participant

Thanks James! Your input is very helpful! I have prepared a patch, which may fix the issue. Could you please make a backup of your “plugins/com.genuitec.eclipse.typescript_2.2.2.201703311443” folder from Eclipse installation and replace it’s contents with the patched ones from this jar: https://www.dropbox.com/s/anespktvzxv5z3k/com.genuitec.eclipse.typescript_2.2.2.201703311443.jar?dl=0 ? After that please run Eclipse with -clean flag – you can add it to eclipse.ini before -vmargs (remember to revert that change after one launch, as it heavily slows down eclipse startup). Please also revert the node.js back to original version on the TypeScript preference page. If you are still seeing the issue with the patched plugin, please attach the log of the issue. Thank you very much!

#518597 Reply

James
    Participant

Ok, I’ve got the new files in place. I’ll let you know if anything comes up.

Thanks for such a quick turnaround on this issue!

James

#518664 Reply

support-piotr
    Participant

James,

I’ve been working today on improving the area and found some potential causes of the problem. Unfortunately we are not able to reproduce the issue anymore. Please update TypeScript plugin folder contents with https://www.dropbox.com/s/anespktvzxv5z3k/com.genuitec.eclipse.typescript_2.2.2.201703311443.jar?dl=0 and let me know if this fixes the issue for you.

#519196 Reply

James
    Participant

I’ve been on vacation last week, so I haven’t been able to apply the update until this morning. But so far today I haven’t had any problems. I’ll update this post if I see the problem again, or I’ll let you know at the end of the week if the problem seems to have been eliminated.

Thanks,
    James

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
Reply To: The node process has crashed

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in