facebook

Tomcat 5 launcher permissions on OSX [Closed]

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Application Servers and Deployment
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

mrasmussen

I am having trouble launching tomcat 5 from within the launcher. I consistently get a “Can’t load server.xml” error. I don’t know if MyEclipse does not have sufficient permissions ot read the file or what…but it won’t load. To launch tomcat from the Terminal I need to use sudo start_tomcat. This is not a problem in tomcat 4, but I need to use 5 now!

#217604 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

It could easily be a permissions problem or a mis-setting of the tomcat home or base options. Also, did you specify the JDK on the JDK preferences page under the Tomcat 5 server? Are there any entries in the log file at <workspace>/.metadata/.log? Please note you’ll need to use commandline tools to list it since it’s a “dot” file and is generally hidden by the finder.

#217620 Reply

mrasmussen

I have made some progress by setting permissions to 744 on several files including server.xml and jk2.properties. This caused new errors with permissions on tomcat-users.xml. However settiing the permissions to 777 on this file did not help fix the problem. The error I get now is java.io.FileNotFoundException: /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28/conf/tomcat-users.xml.new (Permission denied) I’m not sure where to go from here.
    Thanks,
    Michael

#217630 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Michael,
    I would really suggest you go download Tomcat 5 zip file, unzip it in your home dir, get it working first THEN try and move it out to a central location if you need to. Personally I always install my app servers local to my user account as a developer, I don’t have time to play with permissions and let the sysadmin working on the production system do it instead 😉

#217660 Reply

mrasmussen

Well that fixed it. Is there an account that eclipse runs under? I am still new to this whole unix thing. I find it strange that sudo start_tomcat wil execute tomcat, but I can’t get eclipse to do it!

#217663 Reply

Riyad Kalla

If you are new to unix and unix permissions, I would suggest keeping everything installed as your own user. Its hard to nail down exactly what the problem was here, but no Eclipse will run as the user who executes it.

#217664 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Moving to app servers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Tomcat 5 launcher permissions on OSX [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in