facebook

Tomcat – jsp's not recompiling

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Java EE Development (EJB, JSP, Struts, XDoclet, etc.)
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

keiloon
    Participant

MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench

Version: 2015 Stable 2.0
    Build id: 13.0.0-20150518

Installed mongrel to start/stop external tomcat
    net.sf.mongrel.update – http://mongrel.sf.net/updates#sthash.1ZXBaUGw.dpuf

I previously used the 2014 MyEclipse with an external Tomcat and was able to start and stop it using the Tomcat Sysdeo launcher plug-in. This also allowed me to have my own Tomcat customized according to the way our team requires. I have configured Mongrel to use my context file and version 7.x of Tomcat.

I read the description of the Tomcat under servers. I did a quick compare of my Tomcat config directory with the one in Servers. There are lots of differences. However, it seems that many of them come from the fact that the Servers versions of the files I am guessing are 7.0 versions while mine are from 6.0. It seems like a lot of the information from my Tomcat files has been copied into the Servers files but there are lots of differences as well.

I am able to start and stop Tomcat using Mongrel. I see my application context being started. My web app comes up and runs. However, my jsp’s are not being recompiled. I have not verified whether my classes are being recompiled.

If I go into my external Tomcat directory and remove the work subdirectory and then use Mongrel to start Tomcat. Tomcat starts. I see ../Catalina/localhost/bpxjobmanager/org/apache/jsp/jsp/ directory tree created under the work directory. bpxjobmanager is my project name. Inside the lowest level jsp are other directories including the mediaadmin directory that contains my .class and .java files. The strange thing is that the files have a created date from a week ago. So, I know that they are not being recompiled but copied from somewhere else. I began investigating this because my jsp changes were not appearing in the web application.

What must I do to get these jsp files to recompile? And possibly my classes?

#460285 Reply

support-swapna

keiloon,

Can you please share with us the reason why you are using Mongrel plugin instead of the built-in support for Tomcat in MyEclipse?

You can configure external Tomcat installations in MyEclipse from New > Other > Server > Tomcat. You can also customize the Tomcat as you like. Once you configure the Tomcat server, double click on the server in the Servers view to open the server’s Overview page. You will see option to ‘Store server configuration files in the workspace’ and you can also choose the location of Tomcat server working directory.You can mouse over the light bulb icon to get more information about each option.

Click on the image besides the ‘Server must be published with no modules present to make any changes to this section’ to enable the options for selection.

Mongrel is a third party plugin which is not integrated into MyEclipse and hence not tested with MyEclipse.I suggest you work with the built-in support for Tomcat in MyEclipse.

Let us know if you have any questions.

–Swapna
    MyEclipse Support

#460409 Reply

keiloon
    Participant

I have removed mongrel as you suggested.

I have configured a Tomcat 7.0 localhost server. I can start and stop the server and it allows my web application to run just fine. However, MyEclipse does not recognize breakpoints that are set in my Java code.

I have tried starting the server in both debug and non-debug modes. Neither recognizes my breakpoints. Why are my breakpoints being ignored?

#460519 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

Keiloon,

First of all, now that you’re using the built-in support for Tomcat, is your original problem (JSPs not being re-compiled on changes) solved?

Regarding the debugging, are you referring to Java breakpoints or JSP breakpoints? For Java breakpoints, please ensure that the “Add line number attributes” option is turned on in Window->Preferences->Java->Compiler (note that this can also be overridden in the project properties), along with other debugger options.

To ensure that you’ve started the server in debug mode, go to the Debug view, in the Debug perspective. You should be able to expand the Tomcat server process to see the active threads (and you will be able to suspend any thread from the Suspend toolbar icon).

If you still have problems, please let us know the type of breakpoints you are setting, attach the workspace log file (please clear the log first then replicate the problem, to ensure any related error entries are easy to identify). The log is found in your workspace folder at .metadata/.log, or it can be exported from the Error Log view (which also provides a clear function). Also, please attach the output from MyEclipse->Installation Summary->Installation Details (not the details available via the Help menu).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Tomcat – jsp's not recompiling

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in