facebook

Tomcat: support for non-default contexts

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Feature Requests
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

rdean400

I noticed that for a Tomcat4 installation, MyEclipse won’t let me change to a directory outside of ${catalina.base}/webapps. I need to be able to deploy to apache’s DocumentRoot, which is where I have the appBase for my host set within server.xml.

I can work around by using Eclipse’s export file system function, but I’d rather not have to.

–Robert Dean

#197678 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

I have submitted your suggestion to our requirements database for consideration in an upcoming release. What we have discussed recently is adding a browse button on the NewDeploymentWizard to allow a user to override the server’s default output location.

Actually the code is already written and we comment it our for public releases since our early user tests revealed that users not familiar with his server’s deployment models is very likely to dork up his deployment by thinking he can arbitrarily change the output location to any value and the server will be auto-reconfigured accordingly. So support concerns are why you don’t already have this feature.

Michael
    MyEclipse Support

#301567 Reply

guyr

Has this configuration option ever been published? I’m deploying to an external Tomcat 6.0.16 because I have global resources defined (database pools, etc) and the MyEclipse docs say the easiest way to support such thing is by using an external Tomcat. But our environment uses a different appBase from catalina-base/webapps. So for working wihin MyEclipse, I need to be able to specify a deployment directory.

I’m using a Pulse based install of 7.5. Thanks.

#301653 Reply

Loyal Water

Guy,
    I believe that’s the reason we have the Catalina *and* Base Directory settings on the Tomcat connector page… I think Catalina Home points at the root home directory of Tomcat, and the App Base would point at his custom directory that houses the /webapps dir. Can you try it and let me know if it works.

#301659 Reply

guyr

Nipun, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, “Tomcat base directory” does not refer to appBase. Instead, “Tomcat base directory” refer so a non-default set of conf files that are used to run an alternate configuration. We use that capability to have different Tomcat servers separate our pub traffic web site from our secure web site. Within each configuration, we’ve specified where our appBase is in server.xml using the following clause (this one for secure pages):

<Host name="localhost"  appBase="C:/apache/secure/webapps"
                unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
                xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false">

MyEclipse is doing the right thing as far as it goes. I specify:

Tomcat home directory: C:\apache-tomcat-6.0.16
    Tomcat base directory: C:\apache-tomcat-6.0.16\secure

and when I deploy my app, MyEclipse is putting the output in C:\apache-tomcat-6.0.16\secure\webapps, where it would normally go. However, in my case I need to be able to tell it to instead deploy to C:/apache/secure/webapps.

I’ve temporarily addressed this issue by making C:\apache-tomcat-6.0.16\secure\webapps a junction point point to C:/apache/secure/webapps. For those of you who may not be aware, Windows has a concept similar to Unix symlinks called junction points. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_junction_point.

#301746 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Guy,

Thanks for trying that out, I don’t think there is support for that 3rd option you need (deployment home essentially) — *but* the good news is that you can easily simulate that with a Custom Location Deployment — when you go to create a new deployment, hit the dropdown and select “Custom Location” and then select the C:\Apache\Secure\webapps dir.

I hope that does the trick.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Tomcat: support for non-default contexts

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in