We fixed this issue, but due to some internal miscommunication, the patch wasn’t actually sent out to your team. Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay – I had assumed your team had already been using the fix for some time, I was remiss in not following up.
A release of 2017 CI 9 is actually going out the door right now (will be available in a few hours) and includes the fix. I realize your team is still on 2017 Stable 1.0 though (the next Stable release is still some time away) and so I’ll have someone work on this ASAP and get you a fix in at most another day.
I just sent you a PM with an updated plugin, and instructions on how it can be used. I would recommend trying the fix on a single system and proving that the fix works before distributing to others who need the fix as well.
Awaiting your feedback – we hope it fixes your problem.
I got the updated plugin jar-file and did the change on my system as you described it in your PM. Now I’m watching the running MyEclipse instance and will report back what I see. ATM there is no single UDP port 55979 open and listening anymore. My impression in the past was that the error can be triggered by a change in the network-environment like the move from home-office to the desktop at work. I’ll give you some more feedback early next week.