facebook

Too many -vm specified

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I’m trying to adjust which JVM is used (1.4 or 1.5) when running MyEclipse in Windows.
    The normal way I’m used to doing this is by editing eclipse.ini in the eclipse install directory. However, with MyEclipse, this is proving to be problematic at best.
    Here’s my eclipse.ini (note, I specify JDK 1.5)

-vm C:\Program\ Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_08\bin\java.exe

And this is the shortcut I use to start MyEclipse. Notice, no -vm specified.

C:\eclipse\eclipse.exe -product com.genuitec.myeclipse.product.ide -vmargs -Duser.language=en -Xms128M -Xmx512M -XX:PermSize=64M -XX:MaxPermSize=128M  -Dosgi.splashLocation="C:\Program Files\MyEclipse 5.0GA\eclipse\MyEclipseSplash.bmp"

However, I have reason to believe that MyEclipse isn’t using JDK 1.5.

If I start MyEclipse and then use the windows task manager to terminate the process, I get a pop-up telling me that the JVM terminated and it lists all the command arguments. This is where I notice a problem.
    The jvm listed as running is c:\j2sdk1.4.2_12\bin\javaw.exe, with a number of command arguments. It lists the same arguments multiple times, e.g. the spash screen location, and more importantly, it lists -vm twice. The first -vm is for 1.5, the second -vm is for 1.4.2 (which seems to be the one which stuck).

So, my question is: other than eclipse.ini and the shortcut, where could MyEclipse be picking up these extra command line arguments, and how can I change them?

#258342 Reply

Riyad Kalla

This is a very annoying issue with the Eclipse platform, you can use one or the other, but not both. My suggestion is to specify *everything* on th ecommand line and forget the eclipse.ini file.

I’ve even had cases where I specify everything in the eclipse.ini file, and it’s all ignored. So now I specify everything on the command line just to be safe.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Too many -vm specified

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in