facebook

Update from M2 to M3 kills BIRT

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

wseubert

I had Eclipse 3.1, MyEclipse M2, and BIRT 1.0.1 installed. I am running 1.4.2_08 on XP Home. I upgraded from M2 to M3 via software updates feature.

The result of the upgrade is my Report Design perspective from BIRT is now non-functional (I can’t invoke it when opening reports). Starting with the -clean option did not resolve my issue.

I suspect reinstalling BIRT will resolve my problem and I don’t know if the problem is on the BIRT side or the MyEclipse side.

#235043 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

That’s peculiar because we didn’t change any of the common Eclipse projects (GEF / Draw2D) that we ship in M2 and M3. The’re all exactly the same versions, so I don’t know why the update would cause an issue. However, I agree that reinstalling BIRT will likely resolve it. Please post back to let us know if that did the trick. Sorry for the inconvenience as that one really is a puzzler.

#235045 Reply

wseubert

Reinstalling BIRT didn’t seem to do the trick. I even took the step of deleting everthing that started with org.eclipse.birt and starting over. I also recopied the EMF and GEF stuff again.

Did the MyEclipse upgrade touch anything from either:
    Graphical Editor Framework (GEF) Runtime 3.1
    Eclipse Modeling Framework (EMF) 2.1.0

When I look in Feature Details and Plug-in details I don’t see anything at all that references BIRT.

Any clues as to what could cause a plugin not to be loaded? Would there be a log file somewhere that might give a clue?

#235046 Reply

wseubert

I tried the following Brute force approac fromt the BIRT site to no avail. Eclipse wouldn’t even start up…

The “Brute-Force” Approach
    Another, less recommended, approach is to delete the configuration directory:

Shut down Eclipse
    Delete the configuration folder in the eclipse directory,
    Restart Eclipse and again check for the BIRT perspective.

#235076 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Did the MyEclipse upgrade touch anything from either:
    Graphical Editor Framework (GEF) Runtime 3.1
    Eclipse Modeling Framework (EMF) 2.1.0

We bring a copy of GEF and EMF that are about 3 weeks prior to the final builds for 3.1 for both of those products. However, we rebranded the versions a 3.0.99 and 2.0.99 respectively so if anyone installs the final builds the 3.1 and 2.1.0 versions should be loaded instead. Note however that this *might* cause issues in MyEclipse since both libraries changed APIs in the final builds. We’ll be updating our packaged versions to the final builds for 4.0GA, and that should alleviate any problems. For your current install, I’d suggest starting with a fresh install and going in this order: Eclipse 3.1, MyEclipse, BIRT, rather than trying to manually delete and readd, which is almost assured to fail. I’d also recommend restarting each time with -clean (eclipse.exe -clean) to make Eclipse rebuild the config.

#235082 Reply

rgauss

Sounds like a similar problem with Azzurri’s Clay database modeler.

Running Mac OS X 10.4, eclipse 3.1 final, MyEclipse 4.0M2 then upgraded MyEclipse via software update.

Opening a Clay model gives the following error:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.jface 4 2 2005-08-17 09:38:50.440
    !MESSAGE Problems occurred when invoking code from plug-in: “org.eclipse.jface”.
    !STACK 0
    java.lang.LinkageError: Class org/eclipse/draw2d/IFigure violates loader constraints
    at jp.azzurri.clay.ui.edit.DatabaseModelEditor.configureGraphicalViewer(DatabaseModelEditor.java:234)
    at org.eclipse.gef.ui.parts.GraphicalEditor.createGraphicalViewer(GraphicalEditor.java:136)
    at org.eclipse.gef.ui.parts.GraphicalEditorWithPalette.createPartControl(GraphicalEditorWithPalette.java:65)
    at jp.azzurri.clay.ui.edit.DatabaseModelEditor.createPartControl(DatabaseModelEditor.java:9)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPartHelper(EditorReference.java:585)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPart(EditorReference.java:365)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPartReference.getPart(WorkbenchPartReference.java:552)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartPane.setVisible(PartPane.java:283)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.PresentablePart.setVisible(PresentablePart.java:126)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.util.PresentablePartFolder.select(PresentablePartFolder.java:268)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.util.LeftToRightTabOrder.select(LeftToRightTabOrder.java:65)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.util.TabbedStackPresentation.selectPart(TabbedStackPresentation.java:391)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack.refreshPresentationSelection(PartStack.java:1102)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack.setSelection(PartStack.java:1051)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack.showPart(PartStack.java:1256)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack.add(PartStack.java:442)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorStack.add(EditorStack.java:109)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorSashContainer.addEditor(EditorSashContainer.java:60)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorAreaHelper.addToLayout(EditorAreaHelper.java:212)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorAreaHelper.addEditor(EditorAreaHelper.java:202)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager.createEditorTab(EditorManager.java:753)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager.openEditorFromDescriptor(EditorManager.java:665)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager.openEditor(EditorManager.java:628)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditorBatched(WorkbenchPage.java:2323)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2258)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.access$9(WorkbenchPage.java:2250)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage$9.run(WorkbenchPage.java:2236)
    at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:69)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2231)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2212)
    at org.eclipse.ui.ide.IDE.openEditor(IDE.java:371)
    at org.eclipse.ui.ide.IDE.openEditor(IDE.java:334)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.javaeditor.EditorUtility.openInEditor(EditorUtility.java:251)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.javaeditor.EditorUtility.openInEditor(EditorUtility.java:131)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.actions.OpenActionUtil.open(OpenActionUtil.java:49)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.ui.actions.OpenAction.run(OpenAction.java:169)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.ui.actions.OpenAction.run(OpenAction.java:153)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.ui.actions.SelectionDispatchAction.dispatchRun(SelectionDispatchAction.java:222)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.ui.actions.SelectionDispatchAction.run(SelectionDispatchAction.java:198)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.packageview.PackageExplorerActionGroup.handleOpen(PackageExplorerActionGroup.java:296)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.packageview.PackageExplorerPart$4.open(PackageExplorerPart.java:869)
    at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$2.run(StructuredViewer.java:741)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.run(InternalPlatform.java:1044)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Platform.run(Platform.java:783)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.JFaceUtil$1.run(JFaceUtil.java:44)
    at org.eclipse.jface.util.SafeRunnable.run(SafeRunnable.java:148)
    at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.fireOpen(StructuredViewer.java:739)
    at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.handleOpen(StructuredViewer.java:968)
    at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$6.handleOpen(StructuredViewer.java:1067)
    at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy.fireOpenEvent(OpenStrategy.java:243)
    at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy.access$2(OpenStrategy.java:238)
    at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy$1.handleEvent(OpenStrategy.java:277)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:66)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1380)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1404)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1389)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.notifyListeners(Widget.java:1237)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3060)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2712)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:1699)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:1663)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:367)
    at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:143)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.IDEApplication.run(IDEApplication.java:103)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run(PlatformActivator.java:226)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:376)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:163)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:334)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:278)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:973)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:948)

Reverting to 3.9.211 didn’t do the trick, but disabling that and 3.9.310 lets a Clay model open normally.

#235089 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

And this is because you’ve got multiple versions of Draw2D installed, the one we ship with and whatever the Clay program uses.

#235183 Reply

wseubert

OK, I think I have things working but I’m not exactly sure why. Maybe you can shed some light on this for me…

I completely uninstalled MyEclipse and then deleted by Eclipse directory. Then I went through several combinations of installing Eclipse, GEF, EMF and BIRT (I didn’t reinstall MyEclipse) in different orders and always starting with the -clean option but BIRT didn’t show up. I was completely baffled and annoyed since I was persistant for a couple of hours.

What worked was actually following the directions for EMF and GEF. The directions on the BIRT site say to unzip them into your directory that’s one above eclipse. When telling windows to extract all for the emf-sdo-runtime it asks if its OK to overwrite epl-v10.html and notice.html. Now everything works.

Previously I was just looking in the zip file and coping the contents of the plugins and features into the eclipse directory. It never worked this way, possibly because I didn’t copy over epl-v10.html and notice.html.

epl-v10.html and notice.html appear to be nothing special but my suspicion is that either there are more of these special files or they are actually checked by emf. Did the MyEclipse upgrade touch any of these?

It would be nice to figure this out so that the final release of MyEclipse doesn’t do this. Unless it’s really a BIRT problem…

Thanks for all you help.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Update from M2 to M3 kills BIRT

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in