facebook

[URGENT] Memory issues with MyEclipse 2017 2.0

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

hahagal
    Participant

Hi,

We upgraded to MyEclipse 2017 2.0 32-bits from MyEclipse Blue 10 32-bits Our project is on JavaEE, mainly xhtml and java class, deployed to WebSphere Base v8.5.5 64-bits.

Project is deployed to WAS on classic mode. MyEclipse 2017 2.0 memory was at 800+MB. I just opened a xhtml and make some changes and saved. Memory shot up to 1GB+. It seems that when publishing, MyEclipse re-deployed the project? In Blue 10, when I make changes in xhtml and saved, it doesn’t build or re-deploy the project. In addition, I also noticed WAS memory spike from 400+MB to 1+GB during the process.

1) Memory usage compared to MyEclipse Blue 10 is very heavy. Although I saw in progress tab there is frequent flush. But this does not freed the memory much. How can we reduce the memory usage?

2) xhtml change resulted to 2017 2.0 build and re-deploy the project?? Is there any setting to set to prevent this?

3) When 2017 2.0 is deploying project to WAS, WAS memory spike very fast and when it comes to add shared library reference on WAS console it took more than 10 mins. Why does the WAS memory spike so fast?

4) In Blue 10, there is something called hot code replacement. Is this still available in 2017 2.0?

5) What other possible settings on 2017 2.0 and/or WAS we can set to lower the memory usage?

Please advise asap. We need a speedy IDE for our development work. Thanks!

hahagal

#633164 Reply

Brian Fernandes

hahagal,

Looking at our support history, you updated (or attempted to update?) to 2017 about 2 years ago. I had clarified the increased memory usage of MyEclipse in my reply to you here: https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/can-myeclipse-blue-deploy-to-websphere-liberty/page/2/#post-545162

Can you please clarify what has changed since then, or did you go back to MyEclipse 10 and haven’t used 2017 in the last two years?

1) Next week we will be releasing MyEclipse 2019.11 – over the last couple of years, there have been several improvements to Eclipse, Java and MyEclipse performance (and performance related bugs have been fixed – see our delivery log) so I would strongly recommend updating to this next week and seeing how it performs for you.

2) You could try the in-workspace deployment mode for a better deployment experience. Initial and incremental deployments will be much faster.

3) See #2

4) Yes, hot-code replacement is still present, and in-workspace workspace will give you an even better experience.

5) No other suggestions, other than #1 and #2 for now.

Definitely hoping to give you a highly performant experience with MyEclipse, though I will reiterate that this will only be possible with 2019. There are some WAS related fixes that we are putting into 2019.11 (for bugs that are in 2019.04) so do wait for the 2019 release early next week before installing it.

#633257 Reply

hahagal
    Participant

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply.

2 years ago, I attempted with the latest release then yes, we continued to use Blue 10 after that.

We need to add shared library references to our webapp after deployment so we cannot use in-workspace deployment mode because when we add shared library references on WAS admin console, we cannot see the OK button. So we still need classic mode. See https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/can-myeclipse-blue-deploy-to-websphere-liberty/ Any performance difference between classic and in-workspace mode? I hope xhtml changes would not need a re-build or re-deploy of the project.

I would like to test out 2019.11. Any firmed date when it will be out this week? Let me know. Thanks!

hahagal

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by hahagal.
    #633317 Reply

Brian Fernandes

hahagal,

Thank you for clarifying – we’ll take another look at the in-workspace deployment issue you referenced.

There are significant performance differences between classic and in-workspace mode, because with in-workspace, your project’s resources aren’t actually copied to the server’s deployment location, but they are referenced from within your workspace itself. The larger your application, the more significant the benefit from avoided file creation/copy operations.

The release is currently set to go out on Wednesday.

#633383 Reply

hahagal
    Participant

Hi Brian,

Yes, please do take a look at the in-workspace deployment issue that I mentioned. It will be good if we can use in-workspace mode if performance is better than classic mode. We have >500 xhtmls and also java class. I will try both and compare. So far the performance of Blue 10 with classic mode works for us.

Thanks and noted on the release date.

hahagal

#633683 Reply

hahagal
    Participant

Hi Brian,

I don’t see 2019.11. Is the latest 2019.12.5?
    https://www.genuitec.com/products/myeclipse/download/

hahagal

#633684 Reply

Brian Fernandes

hahagal,

Yes, 2019.12.5 is the release you need. That’s today’s date, the release was earlier supposed to go out in November, but was delayed by about a week, hence the version change. Thank you for checking.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: [URGENT] Memory issues with MyEclipse 2017 2.0

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in