facebook

Very long delay to hit Java breakpoint from AJAX browser

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Web 2.0 / AJAX
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

rcoe67

I just started experimenting with the AJAX workspace and see a couple of problems.

The biggest problem affects server side debugging usability; the delay between executing a request in the browser and waiting for the breakpoint to be hit makes the process unworkable. I’ve clocked the delay at over 2 minutes; eclipse is non-responsive during the whole time. I thought that the delay could be caused by having my standard workspace window open but closing that window has no effect, nor does starting the Tomcat instance from the AJAX workspace have any effect.

The other problem is that either my AJAX callback handler doesn’t get fired or the browser does not support DHTML. My callback handler is supposed to change css properties and change element values but doesn’t.

I am using eclipse 3.3 and myeclipse 6.6 on Linux.

#295132 Reply

Loyal Water

Can you make sure all unused projects are closed and check if that speeds up debugging. All open projects can be considered a target for a breakpoint — so the more source files open the longer it can take.

#295140 Reply

rcoe67

I do have several projects in my workspace but all are referenced by the webapp. The normal time to hit a breakpoint, when I’m not running the AJAX workspace, from an external browser is pretty fast. I’d estimate about 10 seconds to hit a breakpoint the first time (after a fresh start of eclipse and tomcat) but less than a few seconds to hit the same breakpoint on a subsequent request.

I did find the problem with my AJAX callback handler problem. I had set my connection to use a synchronous fetch and Mozilla doesn’t call the handler except with async requests. However, after changing the call to be asynchronous, I still don’t see the dynamic css changes that the handler is supposed to execute. Does the plugin support DOM changes to styles?

Thanks.
    Robin.

#295238 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Ahh sorry about that Robin, the tooling doesn’t support that yet.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Very long delay to hit Java breakpoint from AJAX browser

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in